Checking empty fields based on another textbox value (1 Viewer)

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:17
Hello, starting another thread again, thank you everyone for your patience on a beginner like me I really appreciate it. so I need to be able to make sure that there will be no required fields that will be left blank. I attached an image of how it looks like.
* Ext date, InVoice count, LF Assessed, waiver approved, request method should not be blank.
* If the waiver is approved "Yes", the credit amount, credit method and exp date to credit should not be blank.
* If the waiver is "No" the declined reason should not be blank.

Here's my code:

If IsNull(Me.extdatevreachout) Or IsNull(Me.lfassessedvreachout) Or IsNull(waiverapprv) Or IsNull(reqmethod) Then

MsgBox "Please check empty fields", _
vbCritical, _
"Canceling Update"
Me.extdatevreachout.SetFocus
Cancel = True

If Me.waiverapprv = "Yes" And IsNull(Me.creditamnt) And IsNull(Me.creditmethod) And IsNull(expinvdatecredit) Then

vbCritical, _
"Canceling Update"
Cancel = True

ElseIf Me.waiverapprv = "No" And IsNull(Me.declinedreason) Then

vbCritical, _
"Canceling Update"
Cancel = True

Else

"Some action"

End if

Thank you!

Attachments

• CaptureHelp2.JPG
    CaptureHelp2.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 33

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:17
Hi. So, what's happening with your code? Is it not working? If not, are you getting an error message?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 19:17
you didn't say if there is an issue, much less what it is.
I'm guessing that if the first IF block presents a problem message, code is just marching on because you don't exit? Just guessing...

Code:
vbCritical, _
"Canceling Update"
Cancel = True
Exit Sub
I haven't studied the rest because the issue is unknown.

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Oh I'm sorry yes I did not say the problem, it just does not work, and another weird thing happening is that VBA does not tell me anymore where the error is unlike before, not sure if I turned off something, I just know that it does not work because when I click on the button that is supposed to be a trigger. nothing happens.... :confused:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
First and foremost, you might wish to consider that IsNull isn't the best function for you. It is possible for a field to be empty but not null, and it can even have a zero-length string which is neither case. (Empty is a possible value of a variant.)

Instead of IsNull(Me.extdatevreachout), try NZ(Me.extdatevreachout, "")="" which will give you something if the given field is null or if it has a zero-length string. Of course, do that for all of the fields you are testing with IsNull.

Another possibility is LEN(Me.extdatevreachout)=0 which works for nulls and ZLS cases and I believe also works for Empty cases.

As to "nothing happens" you need to learn how to set a breakpoint and single-step through your code so that you can see exactly what it does one step at a time. A pain in the toches because it can be tedious, but indispensable for debugging and seeing what is wrong.

Further hint: If you correctly set the breakpoint in the code, you can hover the mouse over a variable or object name and find out things about it. If it is a textbox, you will see the contents. If it is a variable, you will see its value.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
If it is a variable, you will see its value.
Only if the value has been assigned, yes? When you pause on

strText = DLookup("field", "table","criteria"), strText will be "" if not assigned previously. You have to execute (move off of) such lines/assingments.

Last edited:

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
First and foremost, you might wish to consider that IsNull isn't the best function for you. It is possible for a field to be empty but not null, and it can even have a zero-length string which is neither case. (Empty is a possible value of a variant.)

Instead of IsNull(Me.extdatevreachout), try NZ(Me.extdatevreachout, "")="" which will give you something if the given field is null or if it has a zero-length string. Of course, do that for all of the fields you are testing with IsNull.

Another possibility is LEN(Me.extdatevreachout)=0 which works for nulls and ZLS cases and I believe also works for Empty cases.

As to "nothing happens" you need to learn how to set a breakpoint and single-step through your code so that you can see exactly what it does one step at a time. A pain in the toches because it can be tedious, but indispensable for debugging and seeing what is wrong.

Further hint: If you correctly set the breakpoint in the code, you can hover the mouse over a variable or object name and find out things about it. If it is a textbox, you will see the contents. If it is a variable, you will see its value.

F8 does not work, tried to singlestep....

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Was the code stopped?

I just presses f8 and nothing happens... i have to be at the start of the code right? The private sub that is where the cursor is... then i pressef f8 and nothing happens

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I just presses f8 and nothing happens... i have to be at the start of the code right? The private sub that is where the cursor is... then i pressef f8 and nothing happens
Sorry, no. You might be thinking of F5. F8 is only used to step through a running but suspended code. F5 is used to start it. However, I am not sure the exact times when F5 works and when it doesn't. Either way, I know F8 only works when the code is already running and stopped, usually while in Debug mode.

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, no. You might be thinking of F5. F8 is only used to step through a running but suspended code. F5 is used to start it. However, I am not sure the exact times when F5 works and when it doesn't. Either way, I know F8 only works when the code is already running and stopped, usually while in Debug mode.

I cannot get in the debug mode.... it seems like it is not running at all... when i debug it does not show any error...

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I cannot get in the debug mode.... it seems like it is not running at all... when i debug it does not show any error...
Hi. You would get to debug mode by putting a break point in the code and then executing it.

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Not sure if I'm doing it right, I set a breakpoint which was marked in red, when I try to run the code still nothing happens.

I just want it to check and not allow saving if the fields are blank based on the selection,... on the waiver approved field.

If the value is Yes, 3 of the fields should have value. If No, one of the fields should have value and the other 3 is not necessary. there are default fields that should have a value regardless if it is a yes or no.... :confused:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Not sure if I'm doing it right, I set a breakpoint which was marked in red, when I try to run the code still nothing happens.
How exactly did you try to run the code? Can you please post the complete code? Which event is it tied to?

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
How exactly did you try to run the code? Can you please post the complete code? Which event is it tied to?

It is triggered by a save button. Here is the code:

Private Sub save_Click()

'check the always required fields
If IsNull(Me.extdatevreachout) Or IsNull(Me.lfassessedvreachout) Or IsNull(waiverapprv) Or IsNull(reqmethod) Then

vbCritical, _
"Canceling Update"
Cancel = True
Exit Sub

End If

'Check the waiverapproved field to identify which fields are required or not
If Me.waiverapprv = "Yes" And IsNull(Me.creditamnt) And IsNull(Me.creditmethod) And IsNull(expinvdatecredit) Then

vbCritical, _
"Canceling Update"
Cancel = True
Exit Sub

ElseIf Me.waiverapprv = "No" And IsNull(Me.declinedreason) Then

vbCritical, _
"Canceling Update"
Cancel = True
Exit Sub

Else

'Save the records to a table
Dim LF As DAO.Recordset
Set LF = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("tbl_LFrequests", dbOpenDynaset)
LF.AddNew
LF("entryid_vendreachout") = Me![enrtyid_vendreach].Value
LF("InvoiceCount") = Me![invcnt].Value
LF("WaiverApproved") = Me![waiverapprv].Value
LF("RequestMethod") = Me![reqmethod].Value
LF("DeclinedReason") = Me![declinedreason].Value
LF("CreditedAmount") = Me![creditamnt].Value
LF("CreditMethod") = Me![creditmethod].Value
LF("ExpDatetoCredit") = Me![expinvdatecredit].Value
LF("ReviewStatus") = "Open"
LF("ReqbyAP") = Me![apname].Value
LF("ReqDate") = Me![ddate].Value
LF("ReqDateTime") = Me![ddatetime].Value
LF("ReqWeek") = Me![wweek].Value
LF("ReqMonth") = Me![mmonth].Value

LF.Update
LF.close
Set LF = Nothing
DoCmd.close acTable, "tbl_LFrequests", acSaveYes

MsgBox "Saved"

DoCmd.close
End If

Thank you so much for taking the time to look. :)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
It is triggered by a save button. Here is the code:
Okay, let's try this. At the top of your code, modify it like so:
Code:
Private Sub save_Click()
MsgBox "Hello"
Now, click on your Save button. Do you get a message box? If so, put a break point on it and then step through the code again.

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, let's try this. At the top of your code, modify it like so:
Code:
Private Sub save_Click()
MsgBox "Hello"
Now, click on your Save button. Do you get a message box? If so, put a break point on it and then step through the code again.

There is a message. I put a breakpoint now it is marked red. Should I run it again by clicking save?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
If you put a break at the first line, clicked and code didn't start then you must have lost the connection to the control. In design view select the event for the control (... on property sheet)
and see if that fixes it.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
There is a message. I put a breakpoint now it is marked red. Should I run it again by clicking save?
Yes, click on the Save button again and when you see the yellow highlight on the code line where you placed the break point (red dot), you should be able to use the F8 key.

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, click on the Save button again and when you see the yellow highlight on the code line where you placed the break point (red dot), you should be able to use the F8 key.

It is not bringing me back to the code line when I click save... :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom