Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #31
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Suburban New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 11,851
Thanks: 55
Thanked 1,064 Times in 972 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

jlavin,

I am with you on term limitations for all elected federal officials. It used to be that Sen. Robert Byrd of W. Virginia had so much power that there was no way to get a road appropriation for any other state unless your appropriation had something in it for West Virginia. That was how you bribed him to get his vote on your bill.

There are quite a few things I would rather see happen to Congress. One that will never be passed unless by Initiative and Referendum would be that all Healthcare decisions made by Congress for the USA citizens would HAVE to also apply to them. I.e. if WE have to swallow Obamacare, THEY should have had to swallow it, too. They are too insulated from their own decisions sometimes.

__________________
I'm a certified grandpa (3 times now) and proud of it.
Retired over one year and survived being home all day with the wife. She must really love me.
If I have helped you, please either click the thanks or click the scales.
The_Doc_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #32
jdraw
Super Moderator
 
jdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada;West Palm Beach, Florida
Posts: 11,373
Thanks: 49
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,794 Posts
jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

Doc, I agree with your point on Healthcare. It should apply more generally ---that is, if elected officials are voting on something that applies to the public at large, the resulting decision should include them. Too often elected officials seem to be, and act, entitled with a status above the ordinary citizen. We might see more cooperative, productive bilateral analysis and design if they were affected by the results.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #33
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Suburban New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 11,851
Thanks: 55
Thanked 1,064 Times in 972 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

Yes. Or even >>>gasp<<< cooperation.

__________________
I'm a certified grandpa (3 times now) and proud of it.
Retired over one year and survived being home all day with the wife. She must really love me.
If I have helped you, please either click the thanks or click the scales.
The_Doc_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:20 AM   #34
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale
 
Frothingslosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Flint, Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,767
Thanks: 69
Thanked 393 Times in 355 Posts
Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

Just as a quick FYI - under current law, Congress and its staff are actually REQUIRED to get their health insurance from the Marketplace (aka Obamacare).

Nearly every iteration of the current GOP tax cut for rich people (aka AHCA), on the other hand, removes that requirement.

Also, not only did the Republican party do nothing but obstruct government in every way they possibly could since Obama first won the White House (remember that tape that got leaked of them agreeing to block everything and anything the Dems tried as long as Obama was in office?), but they've made clear since Trump's election that even a semblance of bipartisanship is a complete non-starter. Just look at McConnel - his very phrasing when he talks about working with Democrats shows that he considers bipartisanship a desperation move, not something to be done as a matter of course.

Hell, the entire reason the Democrats changed the rules to disallow filibusters on cabinet officials was because the GOP abused it to the point of Obama not being able to get ANY nominations approved, no matter how centrist.
__________________
This is a test.
This is only a test.
If this were a real emergency, you would NOT have been informed, and we would have fled screaming in terror.
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:16 AM   #35
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Suburban New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 11,851
Thanks: 55
Thanked 1,064 Times in 972 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

Don't disagree as to who started it, Frothy. I just wish there was a way to end it, and I think term limits (as suggested by jlavin) would be a step in the right direction. I just doubt the ability of Congress to limit itself in this way.

For one thing, the big-ticket vote buyers would HATE it because it would mean that every so often they would have to buy someone else. With the status quo they only have to "really" buy someone once and then just pay maintenance.
__________________
I'm a certified grandpa (3 times now) and proud of it.
Retired over one year and survived being home all day with the wife. She must really love me.
If I have helped you, please either click the thanks or click the scales.
The_Doc_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:46 AM   #36
AccessBlaster
.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 814
Thanks: 19
Thanked 230 Times in 220 Posts
AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

The Republicans could have had a massive win. Had they just waited until the higher premiums from Obama care kicked in. People would have demanded relief, but the dumbasses will probably get blamed for that too.

I say leave it alone.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #37
Steve R.
Retired
 
Steve R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morehead City, North Carolina
Posts: 1,602
Thanks: 86
Thanked 96 Times in 84 Posts
Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

There is an overlooked aspect in the ACA debacle. Yes, the Republicans are involved in a civil-war and are apparently paralyzed. That is actually "good" in terms of how a democratic society is supposed to operate.

Contrast this with the Democrats who march in lock-step blindly implementing Party talking points. The Democratic party is acting as a monolith, no dissension allowed. From the perspective of how a democracy is supposed to operate that is "bad".

Furthermore, note that the Democrats are essentially standing in the background and not offering any proposed solutions for fixing the ACA. There is nothing preventing them from either introducing legislation and/or having a very public news conference where they lay out a draft for fixing the ACA. In fact they could probably make some good political points with such a strategy. The fact that the Democrats are locking themselves out of any proposed solution, implies that they are purposely sabotaging the legislative process for their own self-serving benefit. Seems that the Democrats would rather let their "baby" drown instead of jumping in the water to save it.

PS: Schumer, on TV just claimed, that the bi-partisan door is open. But Schumer, if one reads between the lines, implies that the door is open only if the Republicans acquiesce to work with the Democrats as opposed to the Democrats mutually working with Republicans. Furthermore, Schumer did not disclosing what (if any) the Democrats would be willing to put on the negotiating table. Based on verbal gymnastics, Schumer is only suggesting faux negotiations, nothing substantive.

__________________
Now using Linux (Ubuntu).
Doing database development with Firefox/MySQL.

Last edited by Steve R.; 07-18-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #38
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale
 
Frothingslosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Flint, Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,767
Thanks: 69
Thanked 393 Times in 355 Posts
Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Don't disagree as to who started it, Frothy. I just wish there was a way to end it, and I think term limits (as suggested by jlavin) would be a step in the right direction. I just doubt the ability of Congress to limit itself in this way.

For one thing, the big-ticket vote buyers would HATE it because it would mean that every so often they would have to buy someone else. With the status quo they only have to "really" buy someone once and then just pay maintenance.
For once, you and I agree on something!
__________________
This is a test.
This is only a test.
If this were a real emergency, you would NOT have been informed, and we would have fled screaming in terror.
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #39
AccessBlaster
.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 814
Thanks: 19
Thanked 230 Times in 220 Posts
AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

Quote:
...And I think we're probably in that position where we'll just let Obamacare fail. We're not going to own it.
Smart move. Take the hit on the failed promise, and move on.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #40
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Suburban New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 11,851
Thanks: 55
Thanked 1,064 Times in 972 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

I recall a part of this thread discussed bitcoin. Hate to say my predictions were right, but then again, if I don't blow my own horn now and then, nobody else will unless it is part of a eulogy - and who wants to wait THAT long?

Bitcoin and the other digital currencies (now numbering four total) have started to tank because

(a) the computation required for long-chain blockchain computations is expensive, and therefore so is the electricity for it, so its use can become prohibitively expensive in upkeep costs.

(b) since it is unbased, it is essentially another "bubble" that was waiting to burst. If it is unbased, it is too easy to debase.

(c) many governments in the far east no longer trust it and therefore are either suspending or formally outlawing trading in virtual currency. They are concerned over its security. The fact that both China and South Korea (politically very different) have taken steps means they have seen a fundamental problem. I'm guessing that they are trying to prevent a shadow economy that they cannot control or track.
__________________
I'm a certified grandpa (3 times now) and proud of it.
Retired over one year and survived being home all day with the wife. She must really love me.
If I have helped you, please either click the thanks or click the scales.
The_Doc_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 AM   #41
Steve R.
Retired
 
Steve R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morehead City, North Carolina
Posts: 1,602
Thanks: 86
Thanked 96 Times in 84 Posts
Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Bitcoin and the other digital currencies (now numbering four total) have started to tank because ...
May be a bit premature the current decline may be temporary. (Update: Bitcoin is down over $1,600 at this time.) But based on the sudden rise of Bitcoin (an indication that it represents a bubble), the current decline may be an indication that the bubble is bursting. Time will tell, as will the agony of those who lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
(a) the computation required for long-chain blockchain computations is expensive, and therefore so is the electricity for it, so its use can become prohibitively expensive in upkeep costs.
An interesting point. Somehow administrative/operational costs need to be "sucked-out" of each transaction. A surcharge perhaps (similar to a sales tax)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
(b) since it is unbased, it is essentially another "bubble" that was waiting to burst. If it is unbased, it is too easy to debase.
Technically the US currency is "unbased", but we can take solace in the fact that that it is backed by the "faith" of the government. Nevertheless, the US government (the FED), through its economic policies is debasing the US currency through planned inflation. Whether that is good or bad, I'll leave that for another day. But in terms of Bitcoin, should the system ever get hacked; it will be totally debased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
(c) many governments in the far east no longer trust it and therefore are either suspending or formally outlawing trading in virtual currency. They are concerned over its security. The fact that both China and South Korea (politically very different) have taken steps means they have seen a fundamental problem. I'm guessing that they are trying to prevent a shadow economy that they cannot control or track.
I believe that you are pointing out the real reason why Bitcoin and other currencies of its ilk will fail. They won't fail directly because they employ a bad business model, but will be forced out of business by government regulation that will make them illegal in the name of protecting the economy and populace.

Even in the US we are seeing the emergence of virtually every transaction, (being a phone call, stock trade, banking transaction, airline reservation) being tracked by the government. This oppressive trend continues to plod-on and become evermore onerous. Innovations such a Bitcoin, will be perceived as ways to circumvent government control, which to the government is an evil no-no.

If I recall correctly, the US many years ago forced Swiss banks to open their (formerly) private financial records to US investigators. Up until then, the Swiss banks were noted for keeping their clients financial transactions secret.

As an aside on this issue. My daughter and a friend were going to take a trip that required the purchase of an airline ticket. Prior to the trip, my daughters friend had to cancel because of a family issue. Of course the airline would not refund the money. I offered to take the friends paid for seat, but the airline claimed that I could not fly in her place due to "government mandated security reasons". Clearly a bunch of BS as there was nothing stopping me from buying a new ticket for the same flight, which I grudgingly did to be with my daughter.

__________________
Now using Linux (Ubuntu).
Doing database development with Firefox/MySQL.

Last edited by Steve R.; 01-16-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So.....that happened Alc Politics & Current Events 52 05-04-2017 05:48 AM
Vote for Brexit the Sequel - Scripts Rx_ Politics & Current Events 8 07-20-2016 05:27 AM
BRexit Vote - Poll -Big vote June 23 Rx_ Politics & Current Events 20 06-27-2016 07:29 AM
President Snubbed Abroad - scaremonger Brexit backers - Boots on the Ground Rx_ Politics & Current Events 1 04-27-2016 03:19 PM
has Donald trump made his first move AnthonyGerrard Politics & Current Events 3 12-17-2015 09:25 AM




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Microsoft Access Help
General
Tables
Queries
Forms
Reports
Macros
Modules & VBA
Theory & Practice
Access FAQs
Code Repository
Sample Databases
Video Tutorials

Sponsored Links

How to advertise

Media Kit


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) copyright 2017 Access World