Can I force a USB drive to use a specific letter? (1 Viewer)

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:01
I have an encrypted Kingston USB drive which I use on a computer at work and on another at home. Some folders on my USB have Access front-ends which link to a back-end database in another folder on the same USB.

At work, when I log onto the USB it uses two drive letters F and G. G is where all the data is, I guess F holds the security or something. I don't really understand that part!! So my front-ends all point to G:\Work\Data…etc.

But when I plug it in at home, it uses G and H. So now my back-end tables are on H and I have to use “Linked table manager” in my front-ends and refresh them each time. And then do the same when I come back to the office. Not difficult, just becoming a pain in the ass!

I don’t have admin rights to change the computer at work, but is there a way to force my computer at home to use F and G? I’m on Windows Vista at home if that makes any difference. Just now I can’t remember what F relates to on my home computer. It might be the CD-drive, which I rarely use.

I have found links to USBDLM but I don't know if that's the best solution.

Thanks

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:01
I do not know for sure in Windows Vista. But if you can find Computer Management (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management) on your computer and click on Disk Management (under Storage), right click on the drive and change the drive letter.

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Just some further info...yes, F is my DVD RW drive.

Anyone have any info on this? I guess the weekend's a bad time.

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Wow you must have been typing your message at the same time as me! I'll take a look there. Thank you!!

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Hi kevlray,

That worked - exactly as you said it would. I never even knew what Administrative Tools were, but I changed F to K, plugged in my USB stick, tested one of my Access apps and it all works fine.

Thank you so much!

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom