Read only ACCDB and writing to linked tables (1 Viewer)

TraceSL

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:24
Hello
I wanted to lock down my code base in the ACCDB access database but I need the user to be able to hit the linked tables however when I change the ACCDB to ready only the "import" functions are disabled.

What is the recommended practice to lock down the front end code base while maintaining functionality to hit and process data in the linked tables.
All suggestions appreciated. Tracy

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:24
hit the linked tables
lock down the front end code base while maintaining functionality to hit and process data in the linked tables.

Sorry but could you explain that again...

If you want your code to be compiled and so not available for end users, convert the FE into an ACCDE file

TraceSL

Registered User.
Local time
Hello:
I forgot about this option for ACCDE I use to use MDE's back in the day. However this option does not protect changes to queries or tables.
Is there way to lock down these items as well?
Thanks for the help. Tracy

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Its not clear to me whether you mean protect the design or the data from being changed

As the tables are in the BE, users will not be able to change their design.

In the FE, do not allow end users an direct access to tables or queries. All interaction should only be via forms and reports.
So hide the navigation pane and possibly the ribbon, disable Access special keys including the shift bypass and disable full menus.
You can also remove Access options from the file menu so users can't just switch everything back on.
There's more you can do but that may be more than enough for your needs.

If you meant prevent users changing data, restrict access to most forms so the data is locked. At the most extreme, you could make your database read only....but is that what you actually meant?

TraceSL

Registered User.
Local time
My designs include access to temp tables and queries for manipulating data and pulling data from queries to excel. I'll have to work on some redesign. I do use some of the items you noted remove full menu and other abilities. read only is not an option since the user not able to modify the data when needed. I need to work on my designs more. My fulltime work is accounting I do the development on side but trying to make more time for improved designs. Thank you, Tracy

Its not clear to me whether you mean protect the design or the data from being changed

As the tables are in the BE, users will not be able to change their design.

In the FE, do not allow end users an direct access to tables or queries. All interaction should only be via forms and reports.
So hide the navigation pane and possibly the ribbon, disable Access special keys including the shift bypass and disable full menus.
You can also remove Access options from the file menu so users can't just switch everything back on.
There's more you can do but that may be more than enough for your needs.

If you meant prevent users changing data, restrict access to most forms so the data is locked. At the most extreme, you could make your database read only....but is that what you actually meant?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
OK. Good luck
Come back to us when you have specific questions about your design

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom