How do I stop Windows 10 changing default PDF application to Microsoft Edge (2 Viewers)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:35
Hi Paul

Just read this link and the consensus seems to be that any registry hacks will just be overwritten.

As several people said, defaults are often reset even though you haven't opened a file of that type.
For example, I haven't opened an AVI file in weeks but it reset the default.
I don't even know what it was before...

As for PDFs being reset to Edge, that's not even my default browser.
I currently use Chrome and before that Firefox.
The browser itself never gets reset which I guess is because of that court ruling a few years back.

I also get endless pop ups telling me Edge is 1 zillion % faster, cleaner, smarter and prettier than other browsers. Maybe it doesn't mention Pale Moon because like me MS hasn't heard of it ...

For info, the postcode database has, at my request, been updated removing spaces from all field names. I've updated both the postcode and addresses databases in the sample db area in line with those changes. Updates currently awaiting moderator approval.

As ever, thanks for your help.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well there has to be some subtle reason as to why mine do not get changed, but who can tell with MS. :(

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Please can you place your 'papal blessings' on my computer.
I've tried just about everything else .... :D

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:35
Off topic, but I'm constantly getting an M$oft popup telling me that I should be using Outlook 2016 and it tells me I have not yet completed the install. It shows up every few minutes --an inconvenience at best.
I don't use Outlook-- have never had it on this machine. I use Gmail only.
I can't find a way to cancel it--it's not in Taskmanager??

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well well well,

I have the following file asscoiations for Edge, yet at least the pdf one is not in effect?

Attachments

• Edge.jpg
    Edge.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 312

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:35
Off topic, but I'm constantly getting an M$oft popup telling me that I should be using Outlook 2016 and it tells me I have not yet completed the install. It shows up every few minutes --an inconvenience at best.
I don't use Outlook-- have never had it on this machine. I use Gmail only.
I can't find a way to cancel it--it's not in Taskmanager??

If I add a new contact to gmail it seems to trigger a small popup asking to add the contact to outlook. When I close it, at least 3 more popups try to block my attempt to use gmail contacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom