Updating all Queries with new tables (total noob) (1 Viewer)

chomper1

Local time
Today, 11:23
I do IT for small business' and don't have much experience with Access so I was hopinh to find some help. I wasn't sure if this was a Query question a Table question or something else.

My clients database software company applied a big update and now all queries are broken. They updated all of the tables so that for example "table" is now "table1". All of the queries that were built many years ago that refer to the tables are now broken as they are still looking for "table". I played around and was able to copy the settings in a query using "table1" in place of "table" and it seemed to work.

The software support guys said "just update your queries" and won't help further. My problem is I'm not familiar with Access and couldn't find a solution other than manually recreating each Query. Any advice would be great.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:23
Hi. Welcome to the forum. One possible way to keep using the old queries is to link to the new tables using the old table names as alias. For example, if you had a linked table to the old database called Table, then I am guessing that link is broken now because your new link probably says Table1. If so, just rename Table1 to Table.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:23
This is a split database? You built new links?

Options:

1. Can open each query in SQLView and manually type the changed name.

2. Give the links an alias name of the old name.

3. 3rd-party add-in that allows you to do Find/Replace throughout the db - V-Tools is one and it's free, I used Rick Fisher's Find and Replace but I guess it is hard to find now

Last edited:

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:23
I don't quite understand how the change has come about.

The client's database company issued an update? Does that mean you have something else connecting to their data?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:23
chomper1,

You can see from the responses that your requirement is not clear. In order to give more focused advice, readers need more info on what was done by your clients' software company.
Did they change the location/server where tables reside?
Change software version?
We need some info to help identify possible corrective measures.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom