Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Old 06-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #1
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,454 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Remembering D-day

I'll start by saying that I was torn between posting this in the Watercooler or in the Politics & Current Event thread. But I think P&CE is more appropriate.

Today we of the USA and many other nations are remembering D-Day, June 6, 1944, on the 75th anniversary of that massive invasion. We all know many stories, I am sure. I thought I might remember two people who were actually there. I limited myself to people I actually knew. The history books can tell us many things, but I talked with these two men personally.

My father-in-law (now deceased) went ashore in the 3rd wave of the invasion at Omaha Beach in Normandy. Sergeant Loyd Joseph "Roy" Tabor survived the landing and followed a more southerly route, not heading straight for Berlin but more of a flanking action. During his many weeks of hard fighting, he was among several units that liberated concentration camps along the way. When he told his stories to his grandson and to me later, his eyes would take a very distant, far-away look as he described the horrors of what he saw. To his dying day he never claimed to understand how people could treat other people in the way that the Nazi regime treated the people in the concentration camps and death camps. Roy came home, where he became a carpenter building homes and being father to three children including my dear wife L. He passed away peacefully of natural causes having lived long enough to meet his great-grandson T. We have one picture of a smiling old man holding a squirmy infant and everyone smiling around them.

I had the pleasure of meeting Marvin James Perret (also now deceased) who was a landing craft steersman, sometimes called a coxswain. He made multiple trips to the Omaha landing zone and back to the boats to drop off and pick up soldiers, all while under fire. (The steersmen were always priority targets.) He survived D-Day and continued to drive boats to bring ashore personnel or supplies for most of the rest of the war including at Iwo Jima and Okinawa. When he retired, he became a "living exhibit" at the D-Day Museum in New Orleans. One day when I took my grandson T (Roy's 1st great-grandson) to the exhibit, Mr. Perret spoke of that day and spent some time telling his story to a thoroughly fascinated 9-year old boy. He stands out among the many people to talk to us that day because of his kindness to an impressionable young boy. Also because on that day Mr. Perret was wearing his Congressional Medal of Honor, awarded for his service of repeated trips to combat areas while himself under heavy fire from enemy rifles and cannons. Mr. Perret's oral history of his action has been preserved by the WWII Museum in New Orleans and can be viewed on-line. Just google the name Marvin J Perret to see a bit more of his history.

This post is not about the tyranny of Hitler's regime or the political situation that was in place back then. It doesn't matter whether you think in retrospect that the war was a good thing or a bad thing. That isn't my point at all. I post this because among many others 75 years ago, these two men were brave enough to fight a war on behalf of people living half a world away.

In memory of Sergeant L J Tabor and Petty Officer 2nd Class M J Perret, I offer a salute and a tear in your memory on this 75th anniversary of D-Day.

Last edited by The_Doc_Man; 06-07-2019 at 05:56 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
pbaldy (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,033 Times in 3,970 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
Re: Remembering D-day

Great post Doc. I don't know anybody who was there, but I have a great deal of respect for military personnel and first responders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
Steve R.
Retired

Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough

Remembering D-day raises points that need to be considered.

Hitler was obsessed with eradicating Stalingrad (Volgograd) and Leningrad (St. Petersburg). Consequently, many German troops who would have otherwise been available to defend the Normandy beaches weren't there.

I am not mentioning this to detract from the importance of D-day, but to point out that the West has an ethnocentric orientation. And along those lines, the diaspora of Christians from the Middle East continues with little recognition from Western Christian churches.

Some like to point-out that the former Soviet Union made major sacrifices in defeating Germany and that the Western nations have exaggerate their contribution to winning WWII. Well, that may be true to a degree, but the former Soviet Union, by invading Poland, was just as guilty as Germany in in regards to WWII. Additionally, the former Soviet Union, postponed their Westward advance, when the Poles revolted in Warsaw. The Russians let the Germans massacre the Poles instead of saving them.

Last edited by Steve R.; 06-06-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Wording Clarification
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

You know Doc, I never appreciated the pure magnitude of the day until I actually visited Omaha Beach last year...and it wasn’t just the US, many other countries played a part in that event...

As I interact with today’s sailors and listen to their conversations on how they deal with life, I shudder to think how our modern day military would fare if we found ourselves in a similar situation.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticalGent View Post
You know Doc, I never appreciated the pure magnitude of the day until I actually visited Omaha Beach last year...and it wasn’t just the US, many other countries played a part in that event...

As I interact with today’s sailors and listen to their conversations on how they deal with life, I shudder to think how our modern day military would fare if we found ourselves in a similar situation.
Makes you wonder, will the next world war be fought on beaches or in computer bunkers in Kansas.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:35 AM   #6
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,662 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

I've been to the Normandy area many times, on my way to Le Mans 24Hr and to play golf, and on those trips have had many visits to places like Omaha and Gold beaches, Arromanche http://en.normandie-tourisme.fr/arromanches-564-2.html , "Pegasus" Bridge, and a number of the War Memorial Cemeteries .

You cannot fail to be moved by the scale of what lay ahead and selflessness and bravery of those that took part.

It is one of the most humbling experiences you can have, and if you ever get the chance you should go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:53 AM   #7
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,454 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Since my father-in-law was there, and because I would love to visit Europe, I would love to bring my wife there. However, if I did, I can guarantee I would have to buy a case of tissues for her. When she sees things like that, she's a weeper.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #8
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,530 Times in 2,323 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

In my experience almost everyone is moved to tears when visiting memorials in the battlefields area such as the Menin Gate

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #9
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

Quote:
almost everyone is moved to tears when visiting memorials in the battlefields area such as the Menin Gate
And some just by thinking about it.
'Twas a day to remember a Merchant Marine father and a tank personnel father-in-law (who got sent home the first time he tried to sneak in because he was under age).
I doubt we will ever see another generation like those who willingly answered the call.
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:33 AM   #10
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessBlaster View Post
Makes you wonder, will the next world war be fought on beaches or in computer bunkers in Kansas.
World War III would be fought from bunkers, and I expect it would last maybe 45 minutes.

Remember Einstein's comments about World Wars III and IV.

Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: