Question:Timeout, or similar function possible? (1 Viewer)

Mooish

Local time
Today, 04:43
Hello all,

I have an access database that functions as our site Document Control System.

The database holds many forms with buttons that open PDF's on the user's computer depending on which document they want.

The file is held on our shared network.

The error I'm having is when I try to make design changes or update the hyperlinks to the documents It gives me the error: "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time"

I believe this is because one or multiple people will have the database open at the same time and so design changes are not possible.

As far as I am aware the whole front-end, back-end solution only works with tables and not forms, correct me if I'm wrong.

The solution I've potentially thought of is having some kind of Time-Out on the database so that after say, 5 minutes the program closes itself if the user has not clicked since then.

I am fairly inexperienced with access so I am unsure if this is even possible, or if I am going about this the complete wrong way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and let me know if any parts require more clarification. Apologies if this is the wrong post location.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. To properly set up an Access database for a multi-user environment, the first step is to split it up into a front end and back end files. The second step is to store the back end file on a shared network location that all users can access and have full permission. The third step is to give each user their own local copy of the front end file. Please correct me if I am wrong but it seems like maybe you missed the third step. Are all users opening the same front end file from a network location?

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The kind of thing you asked about is certainly possible:

http://www.peterssoftware.com/isd.htm

But as theDBguy said the app should definitely be split properly. That would likely solve your problem.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:43
As a matter of fact, they left out an important concept. IF you were planning to do on-the-fly design changes (and your comments seem to indicate that), don't. EVER.

Instead, have an private, unsecured copy that is the design master or the development copy that links to a test DB (which could be a copy of the real thing if it isn't too big). Diddle with that. THEN, when you are ready to update something, copy the developer copy and update its links to the real back end. Do the final steps of securing the front end. (It's best to have a checklist!) Now update the copy that you keep in the shared area. And finally, look up in this form "FE Update" or "front end update" and articles about distributing front ends in a shared environment. Because what you want is that when you implement the changes, you have to do so at the right moment... which is usually when the users are about to open the FE.

Always back up everything including making backup copies of the unsecured version as a reference point. AND back up the FE for each version. Keep at least two or three versions around just in case you have to backstep.

Mooish

Local time
Hi all,

Thank you for your informative responses. Will splitting the database allow me to update the hyperlinks within the forms or just edit data in the tables

Thanks again.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:43
Users will be able to edit data in forms after it is split (unless you lock them to prevent editing). You shouldn't give users any direct access to tables.

Whilst splitting will allow multiple users to work on the database at once provided each user has their own local copy of the FE, you may still wish to add a timeout feature to allow for maintenance work when necessary

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:43
You will be able to edit the hyperlink data in the table as well as in a form which is bound to the table (or query) and the hyperlink data is in a bound text box.

You will not be able to edit the record is someone else has locked the particular record for editing.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Asilzade, you can open your own thread. In fact, it might be better if you did because your details will probably not match the details of this thread. We won't get your setup confused with the setup described here if you have your own thread.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Will splitting the database allow me to update the hyperlinks within the forms or just edit data in the tables

Splitting the database allows you to edit contents of tables. But if you want to hard-code anything in the forms and then change them, splitting and distributing the front-end copies multiplies your work. Consider (a) not hard-coding any hyperlinks in the forms and (b) making a design-master copy for your modification as you make new releases.

Trying to do that sort of stuff on-the-fly is a recipe for disaster. (In the form of corrupted files.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom