Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Modules & VBA

Old 06-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #16
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about
Re: Progress Bar in MS Access

Quote:
Without some data in the table the demo will not work.
With respect to your code I'd say that is sort of my point. The code shouldn't balk regardless if the reason is that there's no table data, or there is but the recordset is empty. A recordset may get populated every time for umpteen times that it's set - it only takes 1 anomaly for it to be empty, regardless of how many tables contain data.

I got in the habit of

If Not (rs.EOF And rs.BOF) Then

while others say if either is True, then there are no records thus one only needs to check for one or the other.

Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Micron For This Useful Post:
apr pillai (06-14-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #17
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,022 Times in 988 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

With any operation that may error, you need to include error handling.

I tend to count the records with a dcount("*","queryname") first. If there are no records, then I never open the recordset.

It may be more efficient to open the recordset, and do a movelast instead. I don't know, to be honest.

Code:
on error goto fail  'always!

recordcount = dcount("*","queryname")
if recordcount=0 then
   suitable message
   exit code
end if

set rs= openrecordset()
while not rs.eof
    rs.movenext
wend
rs.close

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the bottom left of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #18
Micron
AWF VIP

Quote:
It may be more efficient to open the recordset, and do a movelast instead. I don't know, to be honest.
The potential problem with recordset count is that it can behave in one fashion for DAO and in anoither for ADO. An ADO recordset count can return a value of -1 Thus > 0 is not a foolproof test (or so Allen Browne says, and whatever he says is pretty much good enough for me). So, rather than code one way for ADO and another for DAO, you can't go wrong with testing If Not (rs.BOF And rs.EOF) Then because if both are true, there are no records regardless if ADO or DAO.

Then Albert Kalli (sp?) who is right up there with AB says you don't need to test for both, i.e. if one is true, the other is also. That's a new one for me and probably only applies when the rs has just been initialized as it is possible to MoveNext into EOF. I'll probably stick with my current habit, which is that if BOF and EOF are true, there are no records, thus don't move first, last, or do anything with that rs.

In the end, we all do what we think is right - until it isn't.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #19
axsprog
Newly Registered User

axsprog is on a distinguished road

Has any of you used just a textbox on a form and used conditional formatting (it has an option for progress bar) and let that be the engine that drives the meter? Now I do not know how well it would work counting a hundred thousand records, but for value and progression representations for dashboards, and such , it's awesome.
axsprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #20
Micron
AWF VIP

You're not saying you have done this are you? I'm trying to envision how you make a textbox information bar progress during some execution because the control has to be bound AFAIK, and what would you bind it to that can reflect an ever increasing number? Sounds intriguing but also sounds improbable.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #21
apr pillai
Newly Registered User

apr pillai is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to apr pillai Send a message via Yahoo to apr pillai Send a message via Skype™ to apr pillai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemma-the-husky View Post

I tend to count the records with a dcount("*","queryname") first. If there are no records, then I never open the recordset.

It depends on what purpose we open the recordset for. If you attempt to take a count of records Immediately after opening the recordset the output will be 1. That means the recordset is not fully populated in memory.

To do that an rs.movelast is required before taking a count. On the SysCmd() case we need the total count of records for the initial call to the command. Subsequent calls needs the processed record count.

Yes, we all code differently taking it through the known route for faster delivery, till it is proved wrong or inefficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Learn MS-Access Tips and Tricks)

All responses are based on Access2003/2007
apr pillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #22
axsprog
Newly Registered User

i can't post links yet as I haveonly 6 and this makes 7 but if you search Spy dot com I mean Google for:

access vba conditional format databar as progress bar

you will some great articles for this

easiest way to have a progress bar without a progress bar Might take a little tweaking with recordcounts but I use them to show task progress on individual Projects we do.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #23
axsprog
Newly Registered User

the improbable becomes the probable
Old 06-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #24
Micron
AWF VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsprog View Post
the improbable becomes the probable
I look forward to your example for when the control containing the cf bar is unbound as I stated. That would be cool.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #25
axsprog
Newly Registered User

My post was clear - I said I (me) use it for certain things AND I did not know how it interacts with recordsets Also I don't use the syscommand for my users because they really don't look at it , they look at an hour glass or maybe a pop up modal form (where I run the code from) until finished. I used to do all the above but unless I do a heavy process dependent routine, I have found systems run so fast and connectivity and bandwidth so wide that users generally do not have to wait for anything However other than the one client I am converting to 365 frontend from an adp(first I imported into 2007) all of my clients are remote on Office 365/TerminalServices so performance is always spot on. I use the bars for displaying overall progress and performance, not as a realtime counter. But check out the articles if you have never used the data bar feature with the conditional formatting.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:57 AM   #26
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,022 Times in 988 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

I have some processes that will take several minutes to complete, so I use an hourglass, a progress meter, and a auto-clearing msgbox to advise users to be patient at times.

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the bottom left of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #27
Micron
AWF VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsprog View Post
My post was clear.
No need to get bent out of shape. I read the article and it said the control has to be bound. Since you disagreed with me and stated that such use of a textbox is probable, I simply and politely asked you to show why it is not improbable as a meter.

Micron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: