Question I am so so so stuck :( (1 Viewer)

kirstiem85

Local time
Today, 20:27
:banghead:
Hello
SO far Iv'e got every book in the library watched every tutorial video and this is the first time Iv'e joined a forum so I'm pretty desperate to work this out!
I clicked on Access by accident one day and was curious and delighted Iv'e been playing around with it non stop and I'm a COMPLETE beginner but I'm really really stumped on the following...

I am using the student template database but wanted to change a few things.
I am a teacher and I get referrals of students I then interview them (if they show up) So I have created a table and form for referrals which tracks where they came from, contact info etc then if I accept them onto the course I want a check box or similar to then transport them into the main student list with more in depth info such as medical etc.
My problem is how to relate the two tables and if accepted duplicate some of the fields I already have for that person, if not accepted for them to remain on my referral list.

Is it possible once I have the database set up I can somehow fill in fields and get the database to autofill in paperwork pdf forms which duplicate info then print them to sign?

Please bear in mind I'm a complete novice haha

Many Many Thanks in advance

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
I suggest you put all students in a single table regardless of whether they are referrals or accepted. You can have a field to identify the status of a student e.g. whether they are a referral or accepted. But the point is, all the core details of a student should only be in one table to avoid shuffling data around or potentially duplicating data.

If you then feel that you need to record a whole bank of info for an accepted student you can either do this with extra columns in your table or by a one-to-one to another table. I suggest same table if you are new to db design.

Note that the outside world does know or care how you store your data so you should deign your tables so they can be optimally managed. The only thing the user will see is a form that allows them to enter only the data they need e.g. a referral form only shows the fields for the referral student whereas the accepted form shows a lot more fields.

hth
Chris

kirstiem85

Local time
Thanks for your reply. I see your point, the reason I wanted them in separate tables is because they have different fields eg referrals have contact made, date and time of interview, who referred them did they show for interview
but I don't want referrals that didn't come to anything in the student list or to see this data in the student table but be able to look back at it if I need to. If I combine the two I'm worried ill have too many fields in one table. I have tried creating a table for referrals and creating a lookup/relationship for student to add them in but then I get stuck with duplicate data of address and phone number which I take when referred but also want it in student table. arrrgggghhhhhh! I hope I make sense, really appreciate your help!

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
This looks like a parent child situation. Keep the student information separate and then pull the student into the referrals. Things like Address and Phone number remain with the Student Information. Your interest in referral and should not have impact on core Student information.

If does not matter that there are Duplicate StudentIDs and by tagging acceptance would distinguish those involved with the course program and those that were DNS or were rejected.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom