Password Protect Individual Records (1 Viewer)

ngsabath93

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:37
So I created a new form that multiple coworkers will have access to. I understand that you can password protect an entire data base, but I was wondering if you could go deeper than that. I have a main form with a combo box (query to show existing IDs) for "ClientID" that links the main form and subform (Its controlsource is ClientID from the table the subform was created off of). If a user selects an existing ClientID, the linked subform pops up with the selected ClientID displayed on the subform in a field along with existing additional information displayed. If The user types in an ID not in the database, a blank subform comes up for the coworker to create this new record and the field for ClientID is blank. I need help on two things:

1) How can I make it so that when a coworker types in a ClientID in the combobox that is not in the database, the blank subform that pops up has the ClientID field filled out with what was typed in the main form.

2) Situation: Adding a new client to the main form, and filling out the additional in on the popup subform. I want there to be a field on the main form for "worker". The worker will put their ID and create a new client record. Is it possible to make it only possible for this worker to edit this client record in the future? ...the original creator will be the only one able to edit the information.
-I am thinking maybe have a table with all workers and associated passwords. So, if a user tries to open a subform created by another worker, he will be prompted to enter a password (which will be the one associated to the creator in this "secret" table.
Thanks!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:37
So I created a new form that multiple coworkers will have access to. I understand that you can password protect an entire data base, but I was wondering if you could go deeper than that. I have a main form with a combo box (query to show existing IDs) for "ClientID" that links the main form and subform (Its controlsource is ClientID from the table the subform was created off of). If a user selects an existing ClientID, the linked subform pops up with the selected ClientID displayed on the subform in a field along with existing additional information displayed. If The user types in an ID not in the database, a blank subform comes up for the coworker to create this new record and the field for ClientID is blank. I need help on two things:

1) How can I make it so that when a coworker types in a ClientID in the combobox that is not in the database, the blank subform that pops up has the ClientID field filled out with what was typed in the main form.

2) Situation: Adding a new client to the main form, and filling out the additional in on the popup subform. I want there to be a field on the main form for "worker". The worker will put their ID and create a new client record. Is it possible to make it only possible for this worker to edit this client record in the future? ...the original creator will be the only one able to edit the information.
-I am thinking maybe have a table with all workers and associated passwords. So, if a user tries to open a subform created by another worker, he will be prompted to enter a password (which will be the one associated to the creator in this "secret" table.
Thanks!

You mention a "Popup" subform?

Do you mean a form that is within a subform/subreport control that is on your main form, or do you mean a separate form that pops up?

ngsabath93

Registered User.
Local time
It is a seperate form that pops up. But I can make it a sub form I need be!

ngsabath93

Registered User.
Local time
Yes - but various workers will need to have access to this pop up form....every time to create a new client record. The main use of the password is that if Worker A creates a new client record, Client A (on this pop up form), only Worker A will be able to go to the specific record of Client A to edit it in the future with his designated password.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:37
When your users login do they choose their name from a login form you provide?

Do you record this information so you know who's logged in?

If so where and how?

Please show the code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom