Question Absolute beginner in need of certification - version help (1 Viewer)

CryLittleSister

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:00
Hi :)

I'm hoping somebody in here can assist. Until I started my admin job 3 months ago, I had never heard of Access. My company has a very old database (10+ years) which runs on Access 2007.
After getting to know my way around (as a user rather than maintainer), I believe this can be made far more efficient and, of course, prettier.

I was looking into becoming MOS certified but it appears it is no longer possible to sit the 2007 exam in the UK.

So my question is this: Could I study and certify in a later version and simply extrapolate my learned knowledge to create the database I want using 2007? And if so, would you recommend/dissuade any version in particular?

Alternatively, is there a way for me to create and run the database in the newer version and other employees be able to use it without them all having to update their versions of Access?

I'm normally an expert googler but it's so hard when starting with no clue :banghead:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:00
I've never gone through a certification process, but the basics would all apply to any version. There are some new features that you wouldn't be able to use in 2007, though many of us wouldn't recommend using some of them anyway (multivalue fields spring to mind).

As a rule I'd develop in the same or lower version than the users have. Not saying you couldn't use a higher version, but you run the risk of them not being able to open it.

There are free runtime versions of Access your users could install, if you want to use a later version.

CryLittleSister

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, I should have clarified. Regardless of which I certify in, I would develop the database in 2007 for the simplicity of not having to think about what features I can use.

What does the runtime version allow users to do compared to a full version? Would they be able to add data to the database or only view?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
if you want to see what a 2007 db looks like in runtime (and you would use this for testing anyway), rename the file as a .accdr and open it. I don't think there is an equivalent for a.mdb

Runtime features missing include ribbon, navigation windows and shortcut menus (the ones you see when you right click on a control or column), plus as Paul says, the ability to edit forms/reports etc. They can all be recreated by the developer to provide the equivalent functionality - but again, more work for the developer.

Make sure you have an initial form to open automatically when the db is opened since you will not be able to select it from a list.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:00
And I would suggest if you're considering moving to that environment, install it on a single computer first, and let a user work with it for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom