Use form or build sub-form (1 Viewer)

eddacker

Local time
Today, 03:58
hello, all.
I have a main form called ResidInfo and I want to add some forms for data entry off the new (paper) survey forms the (700) residents have completed for us.
I think using tab controls for each section of the submitted forms will work.

My Question:
What is the difference (if any) between placing the tabs and dropping stand alone forms on them -vs- building sub-forms on the tabbed pages?

TIA eddacker

Additional info:
The survey form suggests 4 additional entry forms:
Contact Information (3 or 5 phone numbers).
An editable list of Visitors and regular service people.
An Owner's information page for the 8% that are tenants.
And a 'notes' page to enter real time data when they email or call the office.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:58
I'm 90% sure that the best way to go is a Tab control with subforms displayed on each tab.

However depending on what you want to do with the collected information you may or may not need to consider how you build your database structure. If you're doing absolutely nothing with it it's just like a contacts database then you can basically copy a flat file format like Excel. However if you want to collate information produce reports and the like then you should seriously consider structuring the tables correctly.

I have blogged about the problems in getting the structure wrong here:-

Excel in Access

If you want the sub forms to fill with the questions automatically, thus avoiding the need for the data entry clerk to select each item from a combobox for each row - which is a pain! Then you might want to look at my blog here:-

How to add a Checklist to MS Access

where I describe how you can create a checklist. You can also create the checklist, but, instead of "checkboxes" you can add text entry boxes...

See this blog here where I describe the text entry version:-

Checklist - Serial Number Collector

eddacker

Local time
I don't know what you mean?

I built some forms before I decided to go the tabbed route. But dragging and dropping them seemed to cause problems. So I couldn't decide to fix what I had or build sub-forms.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
dragging and dropping them seemed to cause problems.

Dragging and dropping forms onto another form automatically turns them into subforms. However they may be displayed in datasheet view continuous form view or just form view - depending....

If you want to explain the problems you are experiencing then we might be able to offer some advice...

One of the major and best features of MS Access is this ability to drag a form onto another form, turning it into a subform. However you can only "properly" take advantage of this functionality if your main form and the subforms (the ones you drag) have a field in common, usually an ID field.

MS Access will maintain a link between the main form and the subforms so that the main form and subforms automatically display related data.

But this won't happen unless you have followed the design rules....

eddacker

Local time
thanks for your encouragement. I went back over my process and found the errors in the master/child setup.
and learned a bit more about design.
cheers,
eddacker

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I built some forms before I decided to go the tabbed route. But dragging and dropping them seemed to cause problems. So I couldn't decide to fix what I had or build sub-forms.

What were the problems you had with tabbed forms?
E.g. Did the controls 'bleed through' from one tab to another?

eddacker

Local time
It seems when I drag and dropped and used the wiz I was able to set the master/child and when I did it manually (w/o the wiz) I could not find the settings. :confused:

I just don't have time to list all the cases where you have to do something strange to make Access happy. :eek: – Johnny Bones

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom