Question How can I create a schedule viewing window? (1 Viewer)

zebra

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:19
Hi. I'm making a booking/scheduling database. Having never used Access before now I'm finding it quite hard!
I've done all the forms that feed the database the final task is to display the data in a visual format.

In the ‘create booking’ form you enter a start and end time and a number of resources. I need to display this information visually in a window that has 2 axes. Along the top a 24hr timeline (which works in 15min blocks) and the y axis a list of the resources (because bookings can have multiple resources you need to be able to sort through them) If you double click the rectangle that marks the booking against the axes you must see the 'Amend Booking Form' so you can change the data.

The only idea I've had is to create a giant spreadsheet with a whole year broken down into 15 min chunks in column A (it's over 35000 rows!) and then I link the create form to enter the data into every single line within the time block. Eg. If you're booking is from 11 to 12, the data is copied into all the rows between 11 and 12- so 4 rows. From this I'd then draw a chart of some kind. Except I'm not sure how to do the chart bit.

Can anyone think of an easier way to do it? The annoying thing is I already have a bookings system that I've been using as a template but they make their bookings in days not mins. And anyway I took one look at their code and freaked, I can't understand it at all! If it helps I can post the template up?
Sorry i realise I've not been very clear but it's hard to explain,

Thanks so so much.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 02:19
I have found that Scheduling is not an easy task to program with any language/database.

For help with the UI, check out this link: Schedule Grid

zebra

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:19
Wow. that is amazing, you have actually just saved me!!!

Hm yes I've started to realise it's hard too- I'd never seen access before last week but said to my boss I'd be able to do it in 3 weeks. Oops. It's been a steep learning curve! I'm determined to do it though because no one thinks I can : D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom