Odd behaviour with Sharepoint (only some users) (1 Viewer)

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:10
I work as part of a clinical network, interacting with colleagues in different organisations with different IT setups, and we use various SharePoint lists for collaborating on fairly basic datasets. To improve data validation on a particular list and for a better look-and-feel, I constructed a simple Access 2003 interface. (I considered SharePoint designer but quickly realised I was getting in over my head!) We have users with Access 2003, 2007 and 2010 and for almost everyone, the Access database is working absolutely correctly.

But two users at a particular hospital have reported an issue which I cannot replicate and do not understand. They can open Access and click “New Record” which runs the following code:

Code:
Private Sub cmdNewRecord_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_cmdNewRecord_Click

DoCmd.OpenForm "frm3Data", , , , acFormAdd      'This form is based on the linked Sharepoint list

Exit_cmdNewRecord_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdNewRecord_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_cmdNewRecord_Click

End Sub

..and that works fine. The new record is added to the SharePoint list, when they click “Save and Close”, which returns them to a menu screen showing a continuous form view of all records.

That continuous form has a button on each record which opens frm3Data again, to go back to that record if they want to edit it further. As you can tell from the code it’s constructed by the command button wizard, as the previous one was:

Code:
Private Sub cmdSelectRecord_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_cmdSelectRecord_Click

Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = "frm3Data"

stLinkCriteria = "[ID]=" & Me![ID]
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Exit_cmdSelectRecord_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdSelectRecord_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_cmdSelectRecord_Click

End Sub

If these two users click this button, the correct record is opened but now it's read-only. They don’t get any error messages or warnings and the Access form appears to save their changes OK, but if they go back a third time, the updated data does not appear. And I have verified that the SharePoint list is not being updated in this specific situation.

However, if they exit from Access completely and re-open it, then they can edit that record and their changes are saved. So I know it’s a not a problem with their SharePoint permissions. As only two users (out of about 30) have reported it, and as they share an office at one particular hospital, my guess is that the problem is at their end and they need their local IT team to look at it. But they have no experience of SharePoint and I wonder if anyone here could help point me in the right direction. What kind of problem could this be? What further information might their IT support people find useful, or where could I tell them to start looking? It seems they can make only one edit to any given record in one Access "session", if that's the right way to phrase it, so they need to start a new session to make further changes.

I can post a copy of the database if you want, but I doubt it will be of any use since you won’t have access to the SharePoint list.

Thanks,

Pat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom