Split a Work Group Secured database (1 Viewer)

JGravesNBS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:13
I just inherited a Access 2000 database Laux.mdb

It is opened with the following shortcut:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "H:\Laux\Laux.mdb" /wrkgrp "H:\Laux\System.mdw"

The System.mdw contains 10 Users and the following two Groups:
Full Data Users
Read-Only Users

I want to split Laux.mdb into:
Laux_Fe.mdb (Queries, Forms, Reports, etc.)
Laux_Be.mdb (Tables)

Is there anything that has to be changed in System.mdw before or after I split the database and link Laux_Be.mdb tables to Laux_Fe.mdb?

Will the current shortcut mentioned above work?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:13
you really shouldn't ever change system.mdw

maybe the version in h:\laux\ is a modified version.

I would prefer to name it laux.mdw, say, so you know for certain it is a non-standard mdw.

I think you can split the database without worrying too much. I thought the privileges were set against objects in the front end, rather than the back end, anyway.

I am not sure whether you can actually make tables read only with security.

JGravesNBS

Registered User.
Local time
I did the split as described above and all seems to be OK

Thanks for your help

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 07:13

JGravesNBS

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the references.

Is there a quick way to disable System.mdw to copy the database to my development system for modifications then back to the customer site?

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 07:13
Thanks for the references.

Is there a quick way to disable System.mdw to copy the database to my development system for modifications then back to the customer site?

No. That would default the purpose of the ULS. To do any development you MUST use the correct .MDW file to be sure that you are properly applying the security. How would you be able to properly test it without??

When you want to work on the database in another location you must copy the .mdw file along with the .mdb files. The are a set.

Keeping a safe copy of the .mdw file is critical. If the .mdw file were to every get lost then you will be locked out.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:13
to repeat what boyd says - when you create the mdw file (and add users) to it, you have to set up a "pass-code" for each.

you have to remember these, or write them down, as recreating the mdw file with the wrong codes will not work. Make sure you do not lose the mdw file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom