Possible to translate a robust, VBA-heavy database to a Sharepoint app? (1 Viewer)

JaredXIII

Local time
Today, 11:26
Hello,

I'm very experienced with Access but new to SharePoint, and I'm having trouble determining if SharePoint can be used as a viable alternative to an existing tool set built in Access. Currently my team uses a very robust, polished database to manage our tasks, deliverables, due and completion dates, etc. I created this database roughly a year ago and have been adding functionality to it ever since, using primarily VBA coding to implement the different tools and options needed. Some of the functions include (very simplified):

• Central table of task records with a form for CRUD operations
  • Ability to sort and filter records by date range, project, user, etc.
  • Form for assigning/unassigning tasks from deliverables (groups of similar tasks compiled for scheduled reports)
  • Form to compile and export queries as reports for specific deliverables by a designated date range
  • Form for plotting recurring tasks ahead based on selected date and periodicity

My project manager has become interested in the prospect of employing the same functionality in a SharePoint database or app. From the research I've done so far, I'm getting the impression that it simply may not be possible to have the same level of control and complexity in SharePoint, due to the lack of VBA support. My hope is that somebody will be able to provide some insights on the actual full potential of Access in SharePoint, and maybe provide any information resources you might have. If SharePoint is truly not viable for this application and will not be able to provide us with the same level of functionality, I need to compile reasons to support this conclusion.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Jared

JulianKirkness

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:26
Hi Jared

You're correct that you can't use VBA in Access Web Apps (AWAs for short).

However, I have built a full blown HR system with self service features for employees to request holidays, process online Appraisals etc all with email based workflows etc. I have also created a CRM system and am working on a Time Recording app. I haven't missed VBA a bit.

If you would like to, my HR app is available on the Sharepoint App Store for a 14 day trial period for free - don't worry, I am not trying to sell it to you just let you see what can be done! Note that the app is 'Locked' which means that you can't Customise in Access. There's more info on our website:

software.kirknessassociates.com

There are limitations - especially reporting and integration with other stuff - but the benefit of a truly multi user web based app which is so quick to build is quite substantial in my view.

Hope this helps!

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Today, 08:26
Julian,
Thank you for posting this. I've been wondering for a while now how people are making out with 2013 web apps. I have an application I may have to make with online functionality, and was dreading learning another tool. Mine will need to integrate, but I believe I can use the Azure database, then link up to that from a desktop access application via ODBC in the office to convert to other things using VBA.

Any good ways to learn more about AWA's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom