Printing Macro Steps (1 Viewer)

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:18
I'm using Access 2010. Is there a way to generate a paper copy of the action steps in a macro? I've lloked all around, but cant seem to find a way to do this. I know I can take screenshots, but wondered if I'm missing something.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:18
I don't know about macros as I seldom used them. However it occured to me you could convert the macro to VBA code and print that quite easily. I did a video on that recently here:-

VBA Beginner - Creating Macros - Nifty Access

The video is from a full set of videos giving you an introduction into VBA code which you can see on my website here:-

VBA Beginner

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'm using Access 2010. Is there a way to generate a paper copy of the action steps in a macro? I've lloked all around, but cant seem to find a way to do this. I know I can take screenshots, but wondered if I'm missing something.

Yes its possible but not easy as the macro isn't a simple text file
I have code that will export it as a text file including the macro steps (& lots of fairly meaningless gibberish used to make it run). See attached text file

Some time ago I created a deep search utility that can filter the human readable parts of macros (see screenshot) but the code was very complex to do & I can't separate it to post here

There is an excellent free Access add-iin called V-Tools that can also do this
Its normally available from but the author's site was down when I checked just now. However this link looks OK
https://ccm.net/download/download-4544-v-tools

Any problems, contact me by email & I can forward it to you (too large to post here)

NOTE: I also recommend converting your macros to VBA.
VBA code is much more powerful & easier to edit / easy to print

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    76.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Autoexec.mcr.TXT
    3.1 KB · Views: 139

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:18
Thanks for your replies. I spent a few hours messing about with the V-Tools addin, but wasn't able to figure out how to print a macro. In the end, I just converted the macro to vba. As you all say, its best, and it has the added bonus of the fact that I can study the vba code to learn about how to do similar things in the future.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks for your replies. I spent a few hours messing about with the V-Tools addin, but wasn't able to figure out how to print a macro. In the end, I just converted the macro to vba. As you all say, its best, and it has the added bonus of the fact that I can study the vba code to learn about how to do similar things in the future.

Excellent. That was the correct decision

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom