Help with Spare Parts Database - I'm New! (1 Viewer)

sbrown914

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:53
Thanks.... Working on that right now!

I also am reading along the way... Access for Dummies... lol :p

Thank you... I anticipate I'll be an expert by... well.... the year 2035!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:53
I bet it'll be sooner than that. Cheers!

sbrown914

Registered User.
Local time
One more question (well, a million, but I'll start here).

I have job numbers in my jobs database. Part numbers in my part number database. Vendors in my vendors database - I'm trying to pull them together in that JobParts that references both. What should the information look like in there? Do I do a lookup on the VendorID? I'm not sure...

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 14:53
You build a query with every table you need data from, as well as any that are between them in your relationship. JOIN them via the way you have in your relationships and bring down all fields you want in the query.

sbrown914

Registered User.
Local time
Ugh

What in the WORLD am I not understanding about this. I watch the video tutorial and read on here, put it together, and I still can't get anything back. lol

I've attached my two very small tables that I'm starting with. I've identified a relationship between the two, and have done one query to pull every part number. Nothing shows up. :mad:

What am I missing? :banghead:

Thank you.... :)

Attachments

• Relationships.PNG
    Relationships.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Query.PNG
    Query.PNG
    34.3 KB · Views: 85

sbrown914

Registered User.
Local time
Hi

Try changing the Join Type to Option 2

That worked!!!! lol Now, however, it doesn't show the vendor name. Do I have to make that a lookup? I want the query to show the vendor, the part number and the part number info.

I'm nothing if not persistent...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You've still got that pesky & in the local part number field.

Going back to your original post. No one was trying to talk you out of including customers in the application. They point was really, how are customers and vendors different? Could a customer be a vendor? Even if a customer would "never" be a vendor, you still might consider using a single table for "entities" rather than separate vendor and customer tables. You could just use them interchangeable, pick compA as a vendor in one case and compA as the customer in a different case or, you can add a flag to the entity table and check it when the company can be a vendor. The assumption is that every row could be a customer but only some can be vendors and you would use that flag to restrict the entities in the vendor combobox on the form. By combining vendors and customers, you would also combine the reps tables. A rep is either associated with a vendor or a customer depending on the foreign key in the rep record. This simplifies the app and reduces the number of individual objects you need to create and maintain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom