G'day from Adelaide (1 Viewer)

eddix99

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:52
Just posting here to say hi to all the access programmers on this forum and to tell you me tale of woe!
I am an expat Brit (originally from Herts.) and I now live in Adelaide. Been here for just over 2 years now and - although it is hard initially - I am finding life down under to be very agreeable indeed. The weather is nice, although it is quite wet and wintery here in Adelaide at the moment.
At the moment I am starting up my own commercial property management business and am using access to write a simple trust account financial application for my business. The basics of financial trust accounting are much simpler than traditional bookkeeping activities, which makes the project doable. I just need to be able to record transactions into and out from ledger accounts and generate some reports that mimic a traditional double entry cashbook, ledger and Trial Balance. There are a few other things but I won’t bore you with the details.
I have thought long and hard about embarking on a DIY project like this, especially as I have no real prior experience with relational DB’s, SQL or VBA. I am a trained SysAdmin so I know my way round server OS’s etc. but this is a different game.
The reason why I went for Access was that the Off-shelf products for commercial management applications were stupidly expensive, especially for a start-up like me. Like 9k GBP for set-up and training and then 400GBP per month for ongoing support. So I decided to build my own, simple solution that doesn’t have the full features of the competition but it can grow with my business and will be totally custom made for my requirements. NB I am into the whole Lean movement so it is a real bonus to have customised software.
That’s about it really. At the moment I have digested a few books on relational theory and Access 2013. I am also trying to get my head around VBA and am trying out some basic SQL queries. My aim is to get to the stage (with enough time and effort) to be able to look after my own systems and maybe even migrate over to SQL server when the time is right.
So that’s it really…
I look forward to chatting with a few of you over the next few weeks/months/years.

I’m just off over to the Access Forms forum to post on a simple issue.

Ed

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:22
Welcome Ed!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:22
maybe even migrate over to SQL server when the time is right.

Then be sure to avoid including multivalue fields in your Access design. They are not supported in SQL Server.

eddix99

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks guys. I will be sure to remember the multivalue tip. Many thx.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 18:22
Edd get stuck in - even if you can't do everything you will have a better understanding of what products you do need which represent good value for money.

Welcome to the forum

eddix99

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks lightwave. It has been very cool learning new skills. And I am sure that I'll be using them daily in my business environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom