Display Previously Selected Value in Combo Box (1 Viewer)

mmchaley

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:16
Hello all

I am trying to get records to display on a form in unbound combo boxes when I have previously selected a record.

Data Structure
table - QuoteLog - Primary Key - QuoteID - Subkeys ClientID, ContactCOID and BidPOCID (these last two are records of tbl_ClientContacts)
table - Clients - Primary Key - ClientID
table - ClientContacts - Primary Key - ContactID

Form - QuoteLog - this is based on tbl_QuoteLog

I have 3 unbound combo boxes on this form
  1. 1. Pulls the list of Clients - code saves the ClientID to tbl_QuoteLOg
  2. 2. Contracting Officer - Selects from tbl_ClientContacts the people who work for the Client and have the position Contacting Officer
  3. 3. Bid Point of Contact - Selects those who are checked as BidPOC from the company selected in the first combo box

The records save correctly in tbl_QuoteLog, however, after I close the form and re-open, the records in Client are typically correct, but the records in Contracting Officer and Bid POC are not showing.

I also have the Select the Client Combo Box again to get the correct list of Contacts to be listed in the 2nd and 3rd Combo Boxes.

My 2 questinos
1. How do I get the previously selected records to appear in those boxes?
2. How do I get the Combo Boxes for Contracting Officer and Bid POC to "see" the record showing in Client without re-selecting the Client?

Thanks,
Mark

Let me know if I am not clear on something.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm curious why they're unbound. If the values save, you must have some code that does it. In that event, you'd need to repopulate them with similar code.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:16
You would use unbound combos for searching but bound combos for updating. You might have both on the same form. Typically the unbound search combos are in the form header and the bound combos are with the data in the detail section.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:16
better to make the combos bound to their corresponding field in your table.
if you are unable to do that, there is still a fix.
using your form's Current Event set the values of the combos to corresponding values on your table. if you got to new record, set the combos value to null:

Code:
Private Sub Form_Current()
If Me.NewRecord Then
    ' blank out the combos for new record
    Me![ClientCombobox] = Null
    Me![ContractingOfficerCombobox] = Null
    Me![BidPointCombobox] = Null
Else
    ' set the value of combos to corresponding
    ' ids of current record
    Me![ClientCombobox] = Me.ClientID
    Me![ContractingOfficerCombobox] = Me.ContactCOID
    Me![BidPointCombobox] = Me.BidPOCID
End If
End Sub
replace the names of the combos to the name you have in the form

mmchaley

Registered User.
Local time
Clarification - I do have it bound to a control, I just started out with it unbound.

The solution above didn't work - I am not sure the issue. I will noodle this a bit and see if I can get close before coming back to this fount of knowledge.

Thanks much

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:16
I can't work out what you are trying to do.
Are you trying to get the combos to work as selection criteria?
Are you trying to use the combos to change values in a bound record?

arnelgp

Local time
yes the solution will not work because on post #1 you said it is Unbound.
for that to work, your combos Bound Column must be of same DataType as with the Bound Field.

mmchaley

Registered User.
Local time
Here is a recast of the problem

Data
tbl_QuoteLog - this houses all the data about a bid - including the primary key values for Client, Contracting Officer and Bid Point of Contact
tbl01Clients - This houses the data for the organizations - source for ClientID
tbl01ClientContacts - Data for contacts of organizations - Source for ContactCOID and BidPOCID

Form that I need help with
frm01_ QuoteJungle​

Fields I need help with
Client - cboClientID
Contract Officer - cboContractCOID
Bid POC - cboBidPOCID​

cboClientID
Control Source - ClientID
Row Source -
Code:
SELECT tbl01Clients.ClientID, tbl01Clients.Organization FROM tbl01Clients GROUP BY tbl01Clients.ClientID, tbl01Clients.Organization ORDER BY tbl01Clients.Organization;
Bound Column - 1​

cboContractCOID
Control Source - ContactCOID
Row Source -
Code:
SELECT LastName + ', ' + FirstName AS Name, tbl01ClientContacts.ContactID, tbl01ClientContacts.ClientID FROM tbl01ClientContacts WHERE (((tbl01ClientContacts.ClientID) = 4) AND  ((tbl01ClientContacts.Position) = 'Contracting Officer')) ORDER BY tbl01ClientContacts.LastName;
Bound Column - 2​

cboBidPOCID
Control Source - BidPOCID
Row Source -
Code:
SELECT LastName + ', ' + FirstName AS Name, tbl01ClientContacts.ContactID, tbl01ClientContacts.ClientID FROM tbl01ClientContacts WHERE (((tbl01ClientContacts.ClientID) = 4) AND  ((tbl01ClientContacts.BidPOC) = -1)) ORDER BY tbl01ClientContacts.LastName;
Bound Column - 2​

cboClient ID Event Procedure
Code:
Private Sub cboClientID_AfterUpdate()
On Error Resume Next

Me.cboContractCOID.RowSource = "SELECT LastName + ', ' + FirstName AS Name, tbl01ClientContacts.ContactID, tbl01ClientContacts.ClientID " & _
            "FROM tbl01ClientContacts " & _
            "WHERE (((tbl01ClientContacts.ClientID) = " & Me.ClientID.Value & ") " & _
            "AND  ((tbl01ClientContacts.Position) = 'Contracting Officer')) " & _
            "ORDER BY tbl01ClientContacts.LastName;"
    Me.cboContractCOID.Value = Null
    Me.cboContractCOID.Requery

Me.cboBidPOCID.RowSource = "SELECT LastName + ', ' + FirstName AS Name, tbl01ClientContacts.ContactID, tbl01ClientContacts.ClientID " & _
            "FROM tbl01ClientContacts " & _
            "WHERE (((tbl01ClientContacts.ClientID) = " & Me.cboClientID.Value & ") " & _
            "AND  ((tbl01ClientContacts.BidPOC) = -1)) " & _
            "ORDER BY tbl01ClientContacts.LastName;"
    Me.cboBidPOCID.Value = Null
    Me.cboBidPOCID.Requery
End Sub

The purpose of the Combo Boxes
To be able to select the organization and contacts in that organization and assign them to the quote​

Current Behavior - New Record
  • Assign Client from drop down
  • Contract Officer drop down displays the people with title Contracting Officer who work for the company assigned in Client
  • Bid POC Drop down displays people who are checked as Bid POC who work for the company assigned in Client

Current Behavior - Existing Record after close and Re-open
  • Client - Displays the Name of the Assigned Client
  • Contracting Officer - Blank - Using the Drop Down List displays all records with Position Contracting Officer regardless of Organization
  • Bid POC - Blank - Using the Drop Down List displays all records with Bid POC checked regardless of Organization

Desired Behavior - New Record - Working as Intended

Desired Behavior - Review Existing Record

Client - Display Assigned Organization - Working as Intended
  • Contract Officer - Display the Assigned Contract Officer, ability to change Contract Officer if needed without reassigning the Organization
  • Bid POC - Display the Assigned Bid POC, ability to change Bid POC if needed without reassigning the Organization

Thanks for the help

arnelgp

Local time
put the ids of the two combos on first column and sort on id not lastname. bound the two to column 1. combo will always follow the sort order on column 1.

mmchaley

Registered User.
Local time
That did not solve the issue

The data for the drop down pulls from tbl01ClientContacts

On review of the record I need the data to pull the "contact"ID number from tbl_QuoteLog and display the corresponding name from tbl01ClientContacts

I am not sure how to make that happen code wise

arnelgp

Local time
what datatype is being save on tbl_quotelog, are they the same with the two combos. do you have any code on the form's current event?

mmchaley

Registered User.
Local time
No code in On Current
Related data type is Long Integer

I have a 50% fix - I have created a text box and used Dlookup to populate the value and placed this text box directly over the related combo box.

This does not solve all the issues, but does cover the most critical one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom