Question Relationship window behaviour 2010 and newer (1 Viewer)

Pavl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:37
Hello to the forum:
Currently using 2010 and have the (apparently) well known issue of the relationship window clipping the top section and so making many tables inaccessible.

Does any user of a more modern version experience this issue ?

If this is stable and reliable in newer versions I will upgrade ....
I have been told (in answer to previous posts) that this is a low priority issue for many but I used to find this relationship window very helpful ..

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:37
Hi. I use several versions of Access prior to, later than, and including 2010, but I never experienced the issue you're referring to. If this is a common problem, I guess I'm just lucky and never seen it yet.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:37
I've also never seen this behaviour.
Can you post a screenshot showing the issue or, better still, post a version of your database with this occurring

Pavl

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you "theDBguy" and "Micron".
I have checked(used search) through posts and it seem there are others with this problem and replies from a number of people stating the best method to be "wipe and start again".
Some have suggested/guessed that the window could be corrupted in some way if modifications are made while something else is in design view.
And ... just had a reply from "the other place" from "Daniel Pineault" saying that he has same issues up to 2013 .....
I did try using the Lebans thing (October 2017) but could not get it to work .... even with help from "the other place"
But thanks anyway ... looks like an upgrade is not going to help.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The other place is called UtterAccess.
If you crosspost, it is standard etiquette to say you have done so and provide a link to that thread

Pavl

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you "isladogs"
Image attached from yesterdays version.
Did not know about the cross posting reference ...
Current copy has window wiped and about to be rebuilt.

i have just opened the Lebans version for scrolling instead of restoring and will try that ... but might well be beyond my capabilities ...
Will report results.
Paul

Attachments

• 2010_rels_window.jpg
    2010_rels_window.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 66

Pavl

Registered User.
Local time
In reply to "Micron" ... that answer (wipe and rebuild) is the one suggested by most and the one I have used ... to date.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time

Pavl

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you "isladogs".
Changed to overlapping but same result.
And have looked at the Allen Browne link and that 'seems' to display additional information based on a correctly functioning relationship display ...
And note that "Stephen Lebans" is mentioned again .... will try both versions of his utilities again ... but I am a part-time amateur ... so will take time.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:37
Did you try clearing the layout? Or is that what the utility does? Or can you post a db copy here?

Pavl

Registered User.
Local time
Micron ....
Have been doing the "wipe/rebuild" method for a couple of years now ... and have got used to ignoring the relationship window.
The window can be cleared in two ways ... one is just use the ribbon command and the whole lot goes ... or the other is to click on any table field that is visible and then hands off the mouse ... using tab you can now sequence (don't know what sort that is) through each table that is invisible and then just delete those.
I keep printed copies now .... so the rebuild is a good time for a layout review !
Anyway ... my time on this is limited so will just crash on for the time being. Thanks for comments.
Over and out.
Paul

Pavl

Registered User.
Local time
Update and progress.

Courtesy of a lot of help from "Daniel Pinnault" on "UtterAccess" and the correct way to use the "Lebans" tools ... Relationship window now accessible via the Lebans "Relationship Views Add Modify" and associated table [tblRelationshipViews].
By saving the 'wrong' relationship layout from the window where I cannot see the top section .... then looking for negative values for X/Y coordinates in [tblRealtionshipViews].
Changing those to reasonable large positive values (by simply looking at the range of values for tables that are actually in view) ...
Then use the Lebans [frmRealtionshipViewsAdd-Modify] to restore the initial saved 'wrong' version (which now uses the positive values from the table.

Thought I would go through all that in print just in case someone else comes across the same problem.

Thanks for help from this forum - over and out.
Paul

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:37
Coming late to the party. However, I've also had at times partly obscured tables. My way to fix the problem is to hide, then show the table via the buttons in the ribbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom