Hello... (1 Viewer)

sanderlay

Steven A
Local time
Yesterday, 22:42
Thank you for the opportunity to join this forum and add my knowledge... and learn from all of you about Microsoft Access and other issues.

I live in a rural area of Mendocino County of Northern California and am semi retired. I'm on Satalite internet for my access to the web. I am on the electrical grid for now but am planning on going solar with a grid tie system.

I've been using Microsoft Access since version 97 and upgraded quickly to 2000. But there I stopped finding no need to upgrade till now. I was using an old HP computer running XP Professional. I'm currently using two computers... A Dell Dimension 9100, 32 bit, running XP Home... and a HP Pavilion DV 2500, 64 bit, running Vista.

Currently if I design a current database using visual basic comands it corrups it rendering it nearly useless. This is extremly frustrating after learning how to use visul basic and then have it ripped away. I have been able to use it in design using built in macros... but only some. Functionality is very limited from previous.

So in short... I'm wanting to return to the programs previous functionality... repair some of my existing data bases... and learn MY SQL.

Thank you for reading this.

Steve :)

sanderlay

Steven A
Local time
Thank you! :)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Currently if I design a current database using visual basic comands it corrups it rendering it nearly useless.
So, this is not a standard problem. We have to ask ourselves, what is going on then? Are you creating a SPLIT database where you have a backend database on a server and then a COPY of the front end on each user's machine? If not, that is likely the source of your problem. But we don't know because we don't have enough information about that.

By the way:

sanderlay

Steven A
Local time
Bob Larson wrote: "So, this is not a standard problem. We have to ask ourselves, what is going on then? Are you creating a SPLIT database where you have a backend database on a server and then a COPY of the front end on each user's machine? If not, that is likely the source of your problem. But we don't know because we don't have enough information about that."
No this is not a SPLIT data base. I'm not sure what to call it's design... but most are self contained. Only one had a remote table in a separate file. Currently all are on a stallion computer... mine... XP home.

Before moving to Service pack three... on the XP Home system... I belive I could design with no problems. After service pack 3... I could not design using visual basic with out corupting the database on recompile. Compacting and Repairing the database create the same issue.

I've alos noticed that I'm not reciiving the updates to Access 2000 despite my attempts to correct that issue. My office 2003 is being updated along with other Microsoft programs... like Front Page 2003 and Expressions 3.

Current version of my access installation is: 9.0.2720

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
1. Split databases will help you keep from losing everything in the event of corruption (even if it is on your own machine).

2. Access 2000 is no longer supported by Microsoft so there are NO updates anymore.

3. Office 2003 will soon also join that list of no more updates available anymore.

sanderlay

Steven A
Local time
Bob Larson wrote:
1. Split databases will help you keep from losing everything in the event of corruption (even if it is on your own machine).

2. Access 2000 is no longer supported by Microsoft so there are NO updates anymore.

3. Office 2003 will soon also join that list of no more updates available anymore.
Ahhh... good tip on the split data bases. I'll look into that. I always back up so there has been little data loss. But data bases like to corrupt under the best of circumstances... so that would save some headaches.

OK... So it sounds like I need to upgrade to the latest version of Access... Access 2007 I'm guessing... to fix some of theses issues? Or is there a later version?

I've also been considering upgrading my office version as well... before it breaks. But as some say... don't break what is working... and it works fine for now... and I know where all the menu commands are. I tried Office 2007 on my Vista computer and was totally frustrated with the menu. Perhaps Office 2010 will be better.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Office 2010 would be the way to go. However, get used to the Ribbon as that is the way it is from here on out (until another change is made sometime down the line).

sanderlay

Steven A
Local time
Bob Larson wrote:
"Office 2010 would be the way to go. However, get used to the Ribbon as that is the way it is from here on out (until another change is made sometime down the line)."
Ok... thanks for the advise. After searching... and comparing... I see that Access is going to be in Office 2010 Professional despite previous rumors to the contrary a while back. So it looks like there will be some life in the application... Access... after all... I'm very happy to learn.

So since it a free upgrade, * for a limited time, from Office 2007 Professional to Office 2010 Professional when it comes out... looks like I'm upgrading my office suite. Look like the best deal in the long run for now... and this should solve my Access issues after conversion... and a learning curve no doubt.

Looks like I'll be learning the... Ribbon... very soon. :eek:

From...
*Eligible Office 2007 software must be purchased from Microsoft or an authorized reseller and activated between March 5, 2010 and September 30, 2010. Request your Office 2010 product by October 31, 2010 using your activated Office 2007 Product Key and dated sales receipt. You will receive an e-mail message from us letting you know when your Office 2010 product is available. One Office 2010 product per qualifying Office 2007 suite or stand-alone product purchase, limit 25 per person. See www.office.com/techg for complete details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom