Trying to find highest ID number +1 (1 Viewer)

22peacocks

Local time
Yesterday, 19:08
Hi

I am trying to find the following when I am trying to add a new record to my database.

The first letter of student surname, the first letter of student forename - this part I have working correctly. What I am stuggling with is trying to find the highest StudentID and increasing the number by one.

I have copied what I have below....

Private Sub StudentID_Click()
If IsNull(Me.StudentID.Value) Then
Me.StudentID.Value = UCase(Left(Me.StudentSurname, 1)) & UCase(Left(Me.StudentForename, 1))
End If
End Sub

Any ideas?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:08
you could try DMax

DMax("StudentID","MyTable","Instr(StudentID),Left( " & Me.StudentSurname & ", 1) & Left(" & Me.StudentForename & ",1))>0")

Where mytable is the name of your student table

22peacocks

Local time
Yesterday, 19:08
Hi

Thanks very much, we have part of the code working - the only issue we are now having is getting the database to collect the max StudentID - but ignoring the first two digits as these are letters.

For example a student code is "DG1115" so we only want to collect the max numbers which are the last four digits.

Thanks again :)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:08
Mid(DMax("StudentID","MyTable","Instr(StudentID),Left( " & Me.StudentSurname & ", 1) & Left(" & Me.StudentForename & ",1))>0"),3)

will give you just the number - i.e. ignore first two characters

Don't forget that this is finding the maximum as a string so AA21 is greater than AA123

You might find it easier to keep the two parts in separate fields, and concat them together to display

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom