building a preventative maintenance database (1 Viewer)

Jason1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:15
Hello guys,

I haven't posted in here in quite a while, but you were a big help in building my last database, and I thought I would ask for help again.

I'm running Access 2016, and am trying to build a database to help manage our Preventative Maintenance program at our factory. My first questions are in regards to possibilities.

Is Access able to do the following:
I want the database to automatically schedule another PM when the current PM is completed. (example: technician finished checking a the motor (pm) and enters the completion data in the DB, Access automatically schedules that task again for a date 6 months from that completion date)

Second, I would like the DB to send a daily email out that lists the PMs that are due for that day.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:15
Regarding the first part of your question, this is quite possible.
All you need to know is the service interval for the particular job.
You can then calculate the next due date.

With regards to the daily mail, this is also possible.
You should be able to schedule task that will run at a specified time as long as the computer is running.
This could be a separate database that can only do the report as it might be easier to set up.
It can easily use the data from your working database to create teh report and mail it.

Jason1

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the response. I'm going to try to tackle the first one first. I have built the basic tables of my DB, and am working on testing the portion that re-schedules the work. Would I do this with VB code, or is there a way to do it inside Access. Do you have a sample of the code?

Thanks

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 05:15
For myself, I'd be tempted to use the Before_Update event to check your entered "Completion date" for the following;

1) Is the other data needed to validate when the next PM date entered?
2) Look up how long it will be until the next PM,
3) check if there is already a new PM date in the system (in case there is a reason the piece of equipment needs to be checked sooner, generally noted because of other actions going on in the plant)
4) enter the "Next" PM date.

This does depend to an extent on how you handle your scheduling. For myself I'd be going through the past PM records to see when the new ones need to be added and set up a way for the supervisor to create the records one to two weeks PRIOR to their scheduled date. This allows the supervisor to match required jobs against available techs and make notes of any service that needs to be deferred or expedited.

Jason1

Registered User.
Local time
Very good points Mark, I will take these into consideration as I move forward. I'm pretty new to this, and sadly, right now, just getting the checkboxes to mark true with a button is my biggest hurdle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom