What's your best/worst joke? (2 Viewers)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 16:43
You know, when someone tells you that something was offensive, and even proffers an explanation as to why, the fact that your first reaction is to call them a tool and send them private nastygrams says more about you than it does about them.

Jokes about how lazy people receiving government assistance are are no different from jokes about how lazy Mexicans are, jokes about how stupid blacks are, and jokes about how evil Muslims are. They all rely on and perpetuate negative stereotypes about their targets, and end up reinforcing the very ideas they rely on. The only difference is that poor people are still an acceptable target to the right wing, while blacks, Muslims, and Mexicans aren't (in public).

And how typical, that the response to 'here's why that was derogatory and offensive' is 'you're a tool'. Guess CE has been rubbing off on you, mate.

Finally, there are WAY better jokes about Flint than that, although it does beg the question about why YOU are the one getting wet when you're turned on. Anything you'd like to share with the class?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
And finally, the fact that your joke was offensive to me, personally and directly and not in some general 'we should be better than this' politically correct sense, should have been enough.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:43
So really the only people who are fair game for jokes are White Anglo Saxons preferably Christian. European back grounds that now reside in the USA. Oh and they need to be male.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Leave it to this over-sensitive fanny to make it an issue like this. This guy would f-up a free lucnch.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:43
Obviously, a free lunch would inflame his over-sensitive views on people getting something for nothing.

Frothy, I have talked to many unemployed people who have the attitude that the world owes them something. As a Bourbon Street musician during my college days, I met folks from EVERY walk of life. Some are looking for a hand. Others just want a handout and don't care whether they do anything or not. It is NOT a uniform situation.

This diversion reminds me of an old joke that might already be somewhere in the nearly 2800 prior posts - but it is appropriate. Regarding people who WANT something but aren't willing to do anything for it... and by the way, I've done my Ancestry.COM work, so I know FOR A FACT that I can tell this ethnic story - because I'm a member of the ethnic group in question (Dad's mother's side.)

An elderly Jewish guy goes to the synagogue and prays to win the lottery. Every week he prays, fervently and diligently. Every week, no lottery comes his way. So... one day he's in the synagogue and everyone else has left the room, even the rov has stepped out. The old man prays, "God, would it be so bad if I won the lottery this week?" Out of the stillness of the room, a distant voice says, "Bernie, Bernie, Bernie... every week the same tired old question. It really wouldn't be so bad for you to win the lottery as long as you meet me halfway. This week, buy a ticket."

The moral of this story is that you have to do something to get something, and entirely too many people think that all they need to do is live; that living is enough to get something for (otherwise) nothing. If your family grew up in poverty and fought your way out, GOOD FOR YOU AND YOURS! I mean that sincerely. But just as you say we should not paint everyone with a particular brush, you have to realize you did the exact same thing with a "brush of complementary color." The welfare frauds and cheats DO exist and are a burden on us all. Here in the USA and also in the UK. And many other countries. It exists, it is real, and you cannot deny it.

Honestly, Frothy, you are getting as bad about social topics as are the Muslims about making pictures of Muhammad.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Finally, there are WAY better jokes about Flint than that, although it does beg the question about why YOU are the one getting wet when you're turned on. Anything you'd like to share with the class?

A little insensitive regarding his desire to share his personal gender preference? You do realize it is remarks such as these that have lead many to hide their gender identity or worse...

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Ah, yes, the old 'but it's okay because it was meant as a joke' defense.

Can't begin to tell you how many times I've heard THAT one following something obscenely offensive or racist.

Apparently it's impossible for people to not, you know, live by offensive, often racist, stereotypes, as the responses above show. Because obviously the fault isn't with the person being offensive as hell! I hear it regularly from my KKK-member family members; I don't know why I'm surprised to run into it here.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
And Doc, it's about basic human decency. The common complete lack of it absolutely gets me riled up.

Mark_

Local time
And Doc, it's about basic human decency. The common complete lack of it absolutely gets me riled up.

And I am sure that will comfort those who do not have the same idea's on gender identity as you when they see your previous post.

Do you think it would make your KKK member family proud to know you are being hateful towards those who do not have the same narrow gender norms as you are portraying here?

I do believe you should look towards those who preach for equality, tolerance, and liberty as a guide if you push such reactionary notions.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:43
I think this discussion has taken a wrong turn and it's not really suitable for this particular thread.

So for the meantime, I'm going to freeze the thread to stop further posts to it.

I suggest you take your discussions to a new thread.

If you have made any suitably witty remarks you might want to preserve them by copying them to the new thread, as they might get deleted from this one in order to bring it back to its original purpose...

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
So a Black, a Muslim, and a Mexican all walked into a bar.....
They all said 'Ouch' :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I hate to admit it, but I had to say it out loud before I "got" it... I don't feel too bad though, I told it to a couple of "men of color" in my office and it took them a second too. They were waiting for me to say something inflammatory...they actually seemed a little disappointed when I didn't.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
So this horse walk into a bar.

The barman says

"Why the long face ?"

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
There needs to be a sticky note above each new thread: If you are in a joke thread you can only post clean non-offensive jokes (subject to review).

If you are in a tables thread and you mention modules, the thread could be terminated unexpectedly.

That way we can all be happy in the super hyper-sensitive world, we all enjoy. :)

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
There needs to be a sticky note above each new thread: If you are in a joke thread you can only post clean non-offensive jokes (subject to review).

So there were these three ethnically minoritised religiously intentioned gender neutral sentient beings that walked into a Bar...

They said 'Ouch' too... was the same ruddy Bar... :p

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
ORIGINAL VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying in supplies for the winter.The grasshopper thinks he's a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed. The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

MODERN AMERICAN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying in supplies for the winter.The grasshopper thinks he's a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well-fed while others are cold and starving. CBS, NBC and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast. How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house, where the news stations film the group singing "We shall overcome." Jesse then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake. Al Gore exclaims in an interview with Peter Jennings that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and calls for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his "fair share."

Finally, the EEOC drafts the "Economic Equity and Anti Grasshopper Act," retroactive to the beginning of the summer.The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government. Hillary gets her old law firm to represent the
grasshopper in a defamation suit against the ant, and the case is tried before a panel of Federal judges that Bill
had appointed from a list of single parent welfare recipients. The ant loses the case.

The story ends as we see the ant disappearing in the snow, and the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ant's food
while the government house he is in, which happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't
maintain it. Later the grasshopper is found dead in a drug-related incident, and the house, now abandoned, is taken over
by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

Mark_

Local time
If you are in a tables thread and you mention modules, the thread could be terminated unexpectedly.
:)

Sounds like you forked the wrong process there. That is often a problem that causes threads to terminate. I'd recommend adding some error checking before you try to fork up another thread.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
This is a thread for your best and WORST jokes. If you read back a few pages, I'm sure you'll find plenty to be offended by.

It's also important that it creates dialogue. Please refrain from personal attacks because someone expresses their opinion on the subject matter. That's unnecessary. Everyone is entitled to express their opinion and shouldn't feel like they can't without being referred to as a "tool."

I've always found you completely nullify your entire point when personal attacks start in.

Mark_

Local time
Definition of an elephant:
A mouse built to government specifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom