First-time Access user: query and new field help? (1 Viewer)

honeybunny

Local time
Today, 05:54
My instructions are as follows:

"In the fourth column of the design grid, create a new field named Sponsor Donation that will calculate and display the donation amount when the Sponsor donates an amount equal to 50 percent (0.5) of each box office receipts amount to the Music Department."

I've attached an image of what I'm seeing on Access.
What exactly do I input - is there a specific formula? As a first-time user, I'm pretty confused here! Please help?
Thanks.

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,603
Last edited:

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Explain more about your situation. Not what you need done, but what position you are in such that you need to do this? This isn't advanced Access, but it isn't beginner level either. If you are a first time user, why has this task fallen to you?

I'm not going to rag on you if it's home work for school(I'll still help you), I'm just interested in the context of why you specifically need to achieve this.

honeybunny

Local time
Explain more about your situation. Not what you need done, but what position you are in such that you need to do this? This isn't advanced Access, but it isn't beginner level either. If you are a first time user, why has this task fallen to you?

I'm not going to rag on you if it's home work for school(I'll still help you), I'm just interested in the context of why you specifically need to achieve this.

It is for a computer science class. We have a new lab every week on different Microsoft Office programs.

gblack

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:54
Tell your professor s/he needs to work on how s/he words the exercise. As there is no such thing as sponsor donantions in the grid, naming something "sponsor donantion" assumes that this field will be the place that the actual donation will be applied, but I think s/he is actually asking for a calculation, if so, the field you will be making is not capable of housing any donations... it will simply display 50% of the Box Office Receipts... If I am reading it correctly what s/he is looking for is:

Code:
Sponsor Donation: [box office receipts]*(0.5)

Copy the above code... Go into the design mode of your query and place the code in there as highlighted in the attached screen shot...

This will basically display half of the Box Office receipts... is there's an actual donation field that wasn't being shown in your attachment... then that's a different story... but if that's ALL you had to work with... that's how I'd answer the question.

GL,
Gary

Attachments

• MC_Access_Example.PNG
    MC_Access_Example.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,707

honeybunny

Local time
Tell your professor s/he needs to work on how s/he words the exercise. As there is no such thing as sponsor donantions in the grid, naming something "sponsor donantion" assumes that this field will be the place that the actual donation will be applied, but I think s/he is actually asking for a calculation, if so, the field you will be making is not capable of housing any donations... it will simply display 50% of the Box Office Receipts... If I am reading it correctly what s/he is looking for is:

Code:
Sponsor Donation: [box office receipts]*(0.5)

Copy the above code... Go into the design mode of your query and place the code in there as highlighted in the attached screen shot...

This will basically display half of the Box Office receipts... is there's an actual donation field that wasn't being shown in your attachment... then that's a different story... but if that's ALL you had to work with... that's how I'd answer the question.

GL,
Gary

Well, that's actually my fault because there is more to the lab and I probably left some crucial things out - sorry about that!
Luckily, I did what you said and it gave me the result I was looking for. Thank you so much!

nikki28

Local time
Today, 04:54
My instructions are as follows:

"In the fourth column of the design grid, create a new field named Sponsor Donation that will calculate and display the donation amount when the Sponsor donates an amount equal to 50 percent (0.5) of each box office receipts amount to the Music Department."

I put this - Sponsor Donation: [box office receipts]*(0.5)
however I keep getting a parameter vALue box popup. and cant get the correct results please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom