Question Connect Access to a Synology DB over DDNS (1 Viewer)

BiigJiim

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:35
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has tried this (or even if it can be done?)

I have an MS Access application which I would like to be able to connect in vba to a MySQL database on my Synology NAS drive remotely over the internet. I have MariaDB and PHPmyAdmin installed on the Synology.

I don't have a static IP address but I have set up a Synology DDNS to the NAS.

Any ideas how to go about this or whether it is even possible?

Thanks,
Jim

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:35
I notice you have yet to receive a reply, so I thought I would make one to boost you up the list so to speak. There have been discussions about using MySQL with MS Access in the past it might pay to search the forum to see what you can find.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:35
As long as an ODBC driver is avaiable, you can connect an Access FE to a BE across the internet provided the remote BE is set up security wise to allow remote connections. However, you will be very disappointed with the results. It will be so slow it will be like watching paint dry. Some people have reported some success using AZURE that they host themselves but any other RDBMS or even AZURE hosted by a provider will not be a nappy choice.

The best way to use Access against a remote database is Citrix or RD. These two options will provide speed that may be even better than what you get using a LAN connection if your BE database is located on the Citrix or RD server so that you have no network latency to deal with.

A private VPN is a possibility if the BE is NOT Jet or ACE. A VPN with Access connected to Jet or ACE will also be like watching paint dry but will be better (although still sluggish) if the BE is SQL Server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom