She's leaving home (1 Viewer)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:47
My first home away from home was boarding with an old lady. A friend and I were set up by the university accomodation service. $25 a week including all meals provided, washing the lot. She ironed everything, I mean everything. Bit odd really.

We only lasted a month and found a place just renting rooms in a house. There we got up to all the bad things students do that could not be done at the old lady's place. (Well we would have if the girls had fancied us. For some reason riding bicycles didn't pull the chicks.)

We would go to the bottle shop and calculate the maximum alcohol content per dollar. Stone's Green Ginger Wine and Blackberry Nip were close rivals but one day we spotted a bottle of Brown Muscat on special. I did not touch muscat again for over thirty years.

The house was owned by a travelling salesman who was rarely home. He told us his wife was in hospital and dying from cancer. One day she showed up good as gold and explained she had simply left him.

After that we moved to a flat under a house where the wife was actually dying of cancer.

Lucky I even survived that year let alone passed.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 16:47
LMAO!
That has been the case for years now. When DOES it end?

Does that mean you're going to go out and get some new piercings and tattoos and a motorcycle? ;)

jamesmor

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:47
Mine was a one bedroom apartment shared with my wife just after highschool. Both working full time, and I in college.

Good times!

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Does that mean you're going to go out and get some new piercings and tattoos and a motorcycle? ;)

Piercings..... ouch. No thanks.
Tattoo .... hell no..... searing pain of a thousand needles resulting in permanent marking of my skin.... forever???? uhuh
Motorcycle... no... I have no death wish.

Pretty friggin lame friggin midlife crisis, isn't it?
LMAO

Vassago

Local time
Piercings..... ouch. No thanks.
Tattoo .... hell no..... searing pain of a thousand needles resulting in permanent marking of my skin.... forever???? uhuh
Motorcycle... no... I have no death wish.

Pretty friggin lame friggin midlife crisis, isn't it?
LMAO

LOL, and I was about to say you were my kinda lady haha ;)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 21:47
I first moved out from home when I was sent to a boarding school at the age of 9.

HartJF

Registered User.
Local time
My youngest of four turned 21 this year; he'll be married in June. The next youngest is in her third year of medical school in Chicago, three hours away. The next-to-oldest shares a house with three other guys, but still comes home to do laundry. The oldest has a wife and our two grandkids.

You'll always be a parent, just in a different way in each season of life. Thank you for loving your kids.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 21:47
My first place was an attic bedsit after my parents threw me out when I was 18. Two months later it snowed and I woke up freezing when the roof caved in :D

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:47
my kids are not old enough to leave home yet (older is 18 now), but I guess I'll have to face it someday too.
guess it's not easy to be again alone as young couple, but not as young :D

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 13:47
18 is when offspring get the traditional gift of luggage. No need to pine when they leave, it frees up space in the home or perhaps gives an opportunity to move to a more suitable home once the last one leaves.

Vassago

Local time
Holy thread resurrection. Also, we miss you, Tess!

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time

Attachments

• ARISE.jpg
    ARISE.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 203

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I was about half-way through the first page and was surprised by how many responses there were so quickly and then my surprise turned to shock when I saw DCrake’s input...

It was then I realized the age of the thread and skipped to the end. I’m a quick one...

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
What shocked me was ChipperT's icon. I used that myself on assorted webforums for a few years back in the early 2000's.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Somehow I missed this one on its original posts.

My first apartment was a mother-in-law house. Really.

My dad and one of my uncles wanted a place for my grandma to live when my folks moved from New Orleans to the 'burbs. So they got two railroad section houses and did some carpentry to join them. Built a porch, set them up, and granny lived there for a few years until ills of the flesh and all that. They rented it as an "efficiency" apartment for years. When I finished my Ph.D. I was ready to go into the world of work but they said, rent the apartment from us, we'll rent it cheap.

So I lived in a stand-alone mother-in-law house. One bedroom, one living room, one tiny kitchen, one bath with toilet, sink, and shower but no tub. Stayed that way for another several years until Dad passed, at which time I inherited the house so no more rent. A couple of years later, Mom went into the nursing home and I moved into the main house. It wasn't until she passed five years after Dad that I started the process of selling out and moving to a real house of my own.

Now, 30+ years later, I'm married, retired, a grandpa, and living in the 'burbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom