Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 01-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #16
collen
Newly Registered User

collen is on a distinguished road
Re: Help - How Can I Tackle This Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike60smart View Post
Hi Collen

You are not answering the question being asked.

What is your daily process.

Is it something along the lines of :-

An employee reports for a given shift and has a schedule of machines to maintain.

How are the machines allocated to an employee?

We need an explanation of what happens on a daily basis in your workplace.

I'm kind of confused as well.

But I think the requirement here is to log any shifts an employee has to do, while assigning a machine they will operate, there after, while you log the shifts for employees, a table or query might just be able to determine how much a machine has worked before it has to go for maintenance (after the 250 hours).

In the table I did, I thought it might be good to pick a machine from a drop down menu and assign to said user for a day, which might help determine the hours the machine has worked, but I don't know how to make any calculations about time nor do I even understand Access enough to know how to do the actual tables for that or even queries.

collen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #17
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,916 Posts
jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice

Collen,
If that is all the info you were given, then you really do not have a requirement or facts sufficient to get the info identified. You shouldn't have to say " I think the requirement here is ...". If the requirement is not clear, you have an obilgation to ask questions; and if questions aren't allowed, then I suggest you make and state your assumptions and design from your stated requirements. You should lay out the business facts as you understand or concoct them.

Here is an example of a problem statement that is used on one of the tutorials from RogersAccessLibrary.. You might make some assumptions in a similar manner to help with your design.

Sample narrative from RogersAccessLibrary tutorial

ZYX Laboratories requires an employee tracking database. They want to track information about employees, the employee's job history, and their certifications. Employee information includes first name, middle initial, last name, social security number, address, city, state, zip, home phone, cell phone, email address. Job history would include job title, job description, pay grade, pay range, salary, and date of promotion. For certifications, they want certification type and date achieved.
An employee can have multiple jobs over time, (ie, Analyst, Sr. Analyst, QA Administrator). Employees can also earn certifications necessary for their job.

Layout a business scenario, so you will have a requirement and a target for your database. You were given insufficient facts in my view, so if you don't have them, and can't get them --invent some, record them and design with those in mind.

You might want to spend 30-45 minutes working through that tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary. I think it may answer many of your concerns and remove confusion.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:53 PM   #18
Cronk
Newly Registered User

Cronk will become famous soon enough Cronk will become famous soon enough

Jack, IMO it's open season on assuming (making your own rules) where the assignment is not fully specified. Obviously something we could not do in a real situation. Maybe the course instructor is looking for initiative but in any case is open to fair challenge.

Collen, I'd take it that one machine can be operated by one employee in any particular shift. Record that in a relational table any you can derive how much a machine is used between two dates and which employee operated which machines in any period, or all employees who operated a particular machine during any period.

In real life, I'd expect you'd need to provide for machines not being used in a shift, or employees operating a machine for only part of a shift (illness, injury) but if not asked specifically for this, omit it.

Cronk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access , database beginner , database concepts , time difference

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: