Searching for Northwind Frontend (1 Viewer)

deletedT

Local time
Today, 04:31
I've downloaded Northwind.sql from a link from Microsoft that ended to github dot com.

Is there any frontend application written in Microsoft access for this database that I can download?

I've already tried Access template wizard, but the tables in created database were local tables.

Thank you.

Last edited:

deletedT

Local time
Bing: Northwind sql database

Thanks for trying to help.

It seems that I've not been clear in my question. (again)
I'm looking for a Microsoft Access file with linked table to this sql database for reading/updating/adding/deleting data on the server.

Thanks again.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 19:31
I understand that. That site does not offer frontend? It's possible the standard Northwind db offered by MS will serve. Delete tables and set up ODBC link to SQL backend. As long as links have same names as original tables and tables are same structure, should work. Maybe I'm being optimistic.

Even if you find a 'linked' frontend, will have to modify the link pathing for your system.

deletedT

Local time
I understand that. That site does not offer frontend? It's possible the standard Northwind db offered by MS will serve. Delete tables and set up ODBC link to SQL backend. As long as links have same names as original tables and tables are same structure, should work. Maybe I'm being optimistic.

Even if you find a 'linked' frontend, will have to modify the link pathing for your system.

I'll try to see if it works.
But as long as I remember, years ago when I was learning Access, there was a sample database that in first run asked some info to connect to sql server and that was all.

Thanks.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
I found some references to Northwind adp connecting to SQL. adp was associated with mdb model.

deletedT

Local time

No unfortunately it doesn't work.
First of all the number of tables are different.
and there are a lot of huge differences between them in table's designs.

For example indexed field in local Employee table is ID, while the Employee table on sql server is EmployeeID.

I have to go through all forms and vba and change ID to EmployeeID.
And that's not all.
Local Customer table has 18 fields, while sql server side has only 11 fields.

I didn't look further.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
The only option may be to use regular Northwind db and do your own SQL conversion.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Is it possible to download it?

Thanks

I *might* have the Northwind.mdb on one of my old computers. I'll look later on if it could help.?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I don't know if this helps but MS supply an example SQL Server datafile called Adventure Works.

Its several years since I looked at it properly but its a very extensive dataset with over 70 tables. It also includes views, stored procedures, triggers, user defined datatypes etc
IIRC you can find tutorials on its use online (GitHub possibly)

Can't remember whether an Access FE is available for this online but you could obviously create your own

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
OK,
I found a Northwind, however it appears to be 97, as when I open it in 2000 it wants to convert it, which I tried, but Access then hangs.

I did see in 2000 a mention of SQL data, but that requires DATA1.MSI from the Premium CD and I'm not sure I had that one, and by now I think I might have thrown the Office 2000 CD out. :)

I managed to convert from 97 to 2007 and that is attached. This version does have the EmployeeID PK field in it.

I noticed the change myself a while ago, as I downloaded soemthing to work with Northwind and then had to change the PK fields for Employee, Order etc.

Well done Microsoft.:banghead:

HTH

Attachments

• Northwind 97-2007.zip
    479.6 KB · Views: 70

deletedT

Local time
OK,

I managed to convert from 97 to 2007 and that is attached. This version does have the EmployeeID PK field in it.

I noticed the change myself a while ago, as I downloaded soemthing to work with Northwind and then had to change the PK fields for Employee, Order etc.

Well done Microsoft.:banghead:

HTH

Million Thanks.
I’m away from my pc now.
I’ll check it out tomorrow morning as soon as I’m back to office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom