Table is recieving ID instead of description from form (1 Viewer)

awaldrep

Local time
Today, 08:46
I have a form with two combo boxes where one is dependent on the other. Essentially the user will select a category of products in the first one, and a specific product in the other. Once the record is saved it puts that data in the table associated with the form. However it shows the ID for both of these fields, instead of the description of it. I.E. it will show a 1 vs. the specific product name. The number won't mean much to those using it so I would like to have it where the names are what's going into the table fields. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!!

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 23:46
actually that is the correct way, to save to id of the number and Link it back to the table (via query) to get the description. otherwise, you are only duplicating what is already on the other table.

but it is your call, on design view of the your form, set the Bound Column of the combo to 2.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:46
I would not do it. If that descriptive name changes for any reason, you will lose relationships.

Just retrieve the descriptive name when needed. It is very easy to do.

Plus users should not be looking directly at tables, only at data through forms/reports and perhaps queries.

I have a form with two combo boxes where one is dependent on the other. Essentially the user will select a category of products in the first one, and a specific product in the other. Once the record is saved it puts that data in the table associated with the form. However it shows the ID for both of these fields, instead of the description of it. I.E. it will show a 1 vs. the specific product name. The number won't mean much to those using it so I would like to have it where the names are what's going into the table fields. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:46
Users NEVER, EVER get to look at raw tables or queries. users only interact with forms and reports you create for them. You use queries (or combos), as the others have suggested to display the data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom