Should Boxing be banned? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:27
Is it a barbaric out-dated activity that should be banned, or just a sport that has acceptable risk?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 15:27
Is it a barbaric out-dated activity that should be banned, or just a sport that has acceptable risk?

All sports have risks. People know what they are getting into when they do it. I don't believe that the government should be as involved as they already are in our personal lives. If someone wants to box, they are only hurting themselves.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:27
>>If someone wants to box, they are only hurting themselves.<<
Not if they are any good at it. :D

Chris.

fortion

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:27
its just a sport,where a factor of risk is involved and all involved parties are aware of it.....

Salinger

Registered User.
Local time
If both parties are doing it through choice, and are fully aware of the risks I don't think we should ban it. There's a risk of driving it underground, where it can't be properly moderated.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:27
People have always wanted their bread and circuses. Boxing is just one more example of same. In south Louisiana, Texas, and a few other southern USA states, ****-fighting was a popular "sport" - not that it is very sporting to give roosters steel spurs and let them slash it out.

Personally, I think we should reinstate bull-fighting - but give the bull metal tips on his horns and cut the number of picadores in half. Then give the matador a dagger instead of a sword. If the bull wins, no retaliation. He lives to fight another day.

Or we could arm reindeer and give the hunters one 5-shot clip for the day. Then make sure there are at least SIX armed reindeer in the area. Make it REALLY sporting.

Salinger

Registered User.
Local time
I'm liking the image I have of armed reindeer...I'm in! :)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
In my opinion, if two people want to beat the heck out of each other for a living then why not? If other people can find a way to turn a profit from the beatings then that is alright as well.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:27
Actually, we could combine this with another thread - the Death Penalty - and have a win-win situation for society...

Instead of boxing, let's take convicted felons charged with the most heinous crimes like premeditated murder and murder committed during child ra** and murder commited by terrorism. Put them in a large arena. They get blade weapons only. The more heinous the crime, the smaller the blade. Televise the event on pay-per-view. The rules? Survivor lives another day, and even gets first-aid for any cuts. That we, we take care of the death penalty and televised violence for the masses at the same time. If they survive 10 such bouts? For their 11th bout give them a pen knife and the other guy gets a machete.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Today, 19:27
Actually, we could combine this with another thread - the Death Penalty - and have a win-win situation for society...

Instead of boxing, let's take convicted felons charged with the most heinous crimes like premeditated murder and murder committed during child ra** and murder commited by terrorism. Put them in a large arena. They get blade weapons only. The more heinous the crime, the smaller the blade. Televise the event on pay-per-view. The rules? Survivor lives another day, and even gets first-aid for any cuts. That we, we take care of the death penalty and televised violence for the masses at the same time. If they survive 10 such bouts? For their 11th bout give them a pen knife and the other guy gets a machete.

I like your style ! Roman Gladiators it is (but with untrained murderers!) - i also favor the idea of the the animals given a fighting chance - change it up a little - make it INTERESTING!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom