SQL Insert statement VBA (1 Viewer)

colossus02

Local time
Today, 13:48
I'm having a very tough time trying to use a insert SQL statement in VBA. I built the query in query design so I know it works, I just can figure out the problem in VBA. I believe it has something to do with the textbox value I'm bringing into the query. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
DoCmd.RunSQL ("INSERT INTO tbl_WP_Acquisitions.WPID, tbl_WP_Acquisitions.AQID, tbl_WP_Acquisitions.ShortTitle " _
                    & "Select (" & Me.txtCurrentID.Value & "), tmptbl_Acquisitions.AQID, tmptbl_Acquisitions.ShortTitle FROM tmptbl_Acquisitions " _
                    & "WHERE tmptbl_Acquisitions.Selected = True")

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 15:48
You might have used design view to build a generic version of the query, but you need to find out what the specific SQL is of the query you are building is.

So, create a string variable (strSQL), build the SQL string inside of it, spit it out to see what SQL you are actually using.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 22:48
Is WPID field a number or a text field type, (if text surround it by ' ) ?
Code:
([COLOR=red][B]'[/B][/COLOR]" & Me.txtCurrentID & "[B][COLOR=red]'[/COLOR][/B])

colossus02

Local time
Is WPID field a number or a text field type, (if text surround it by ' ) ?
Code:
([COLOR=red][B]'[/B][/COLOR]" & Me.txtCurrentID & "[B][COLOR=red]'[/COLOR][/B])
No it not text.

colossus02

Local time
You might have used design view to build a generic version of the query, but you need to find out what the specific SQL is of the query you are building is.

So, create a string variable (strSQL), build the SQL string inside of it, spit it out to see what SQL you are actually using.

To be honest, I don't really understand how to split it out. I set the SQL as a variable like you stated and below is the output:

Code:
INSERT INTO tbl_WP_Acquisitions.WPID, tbl_WP_Acquisitions.AQID, tbl_WP_Acquisitions.ShortTitle Select '3393', tmptbl_Acquisitions.AQID, tmptbl_Acquisitions.ShortTitle FROM tmptbl_Acquisitions WHERE tmptbl_Acquisitions.Selected = True

I really want to understand this.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Maybe this will make it a little clearer?

Code:
DIM asSQL as STRING

'We build up the string one piece at a time, adding the next to the end of the previous.
asSQL = INSERT INTO tbl_WP_Acquisitions.WPID, tbl_WP_Acquisitions.AQID, tbl_WP_Acquisitions.ShortTitle "
asSQL = asSQL & "Select (" & Me.txtCurrentID.Value & "), tmptbl_Acquisitions.AQID, tmptbl_Acquisitions.ShortTitle " 
asSQL = asSQL & "FROM tmptbl_Acquisitions "
asSQL = asSQL & "WHERE tmptbl_Acquisitions.Selected = True"

'The following is for testing so you can SEE what is being passed.
msgbox "The SQL to run is: " & asSQL

DoCmd.RunSQL asSQL

Then you can look at the SQL you are using. Others will suggest using debug.print, but there are several ways of doing this and each of us has our ow preference.

Last edited:

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 22:48
I think you're a missing (), (and you don't need the Me.txtCurrentID.Value, Value is default)
Code:
DoCmd.RunSQL ("INSERT INTO[B][COLOR=red] ([/COLOR][/B]tbl_WP_Acquisitions.WPID, tbl_WP_Acquisitions.AQID, tbl_WP_Acquisitions.ShortTitle[B][COLOR=Red])[/COLOR][/B] " _  
& "Select (" & Me.txtCurrentID & "), tmptbl_Acquisitions.AQID, tmptbl_Acquisitions.ShortTitle FROM tmptbl_Acquisitions " _   
& "WHERE tmptbl_Acquisitions.Selected = True")

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:48
This should work...

Code:
    Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_WP_Acquisitions (WPID, AQID, ShortTitle) " & _
                "SELECT " & Me.txtCurrentID.Value & ", AQID, ShortTitle " & _
                    "FROM tmptbl_Acquisitions " & _
                        "WHERE tmptbl_Acquisitions.Selected = True"
              CurrentDb.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError