SubForm Height (1 Viewer)

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:21
I'm trying to position a datasheet subForm on my main Form. It's needs its
height increased but can't figure out where you do that. Properties show a width setting but not height.

In Form Open code I have tried Me.InsideHeight= various values, but it has no effect.
I can't drag it higher, except in design mode, but there's no Save option, so it also doesn't change.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:21
Hi. Sorry, I’m not in front of a computer right now, but I can’t believe there is no height property for a subform control. If so, I would find that very interesting.

Sent from phone...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 15:21
A subform is a control on the main form.
Click the subform control (not the subform itself) and you will see the Height property.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
>Click the subform control (not the subform itself) and you will see the Height property.

How do you identify which is what ?
I found something and managed to change the height, and worked out why its driven me mad for years. You click in the same place but get DIFFERENT things.

At times its Selection Type : Selection and Detail; at other times (seems to be always the first [only?] attempt you see Selection Type Subform/Subreport. Once you have one you can NEVER get the other. Only one has the Height you want.
Is this how you have it too?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:21
If you click on the detail, header or footer sections, you'll always activate them. As for the other, think of it this way: if you click on a textbox, you expect to activate it. Same goes for the subform control. However, click on the subform itself once and it's the control that gets activated (same as before) but click again on the same spot and the form (or perhaps one of its controls - depends on where you click) gets activated. If I want the form, I always click once on the form where the small square is in a form's top left corner, then again on the same spot. If you want to go back to the subform control, you can activate it by clicking on the border of the control. Then there is the control list combo on the property sheet...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Open the main form in design view, click the border of the sub form control once. The border will be highlighted.
You will then be able to alter its height and other properties of the subform control.
Do not double click the border as that selects controls on the subform.

If you click and hold the subform control boundary, the content menu changes to include the item 'open subform in a new window'

Next click on the small grey square at the top left of the subform. This will then allow you to edit properties of the subform itself such as its record source. These properties can also be modified by opening the subform in a new window or opening it direct from the navigation pane.
You do not see a height property in those cases as the height is dependant on the number of records.

The same points apply to reports and subreports.

Note that there were a lot of complaints in earlier versions of Access 2016/365 as the border width of controls was reduced to something like 1 pixel making it hard to click on the border. I believe this has since been rectified

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:21
Do not double click the border as that selects controls on the subform.

If you click and hold the subform control boundary, the content menu changes to include the item 'open subform in a new window'
Interesting. Have never tried either of those, rather always clicked once to select then right clicked and chose "Open subform in new window" or whatever it says in the menu.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Click and hold has the same effect as right clicking for any control ...not just for subforms. In both cases the context menu is shown.

Click and hold is very useful where you don't want to use the mouse or where one isn't connected...such as on the touchscreen tablet I'm using now.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
I've clicked just about every place/border possible.. and can not get the SubForm. I need to View-Form and View-Design again, and if that doesn't work close & reopen Access and the first time you try, it's there. It does not show in the combo list for me. I can get detail, header or footer sections as you describe. I get everything but what I want... par for the course I guess!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
It may take a little practice but what I wrote definitely works in all versions of Access...but as stated its harder to do in early versions of A2016/365

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    72.8 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Where/what is the "subform Border" or boundary, say in relation to the ruler ?
The small grey square at the top left of the subform (gains a black square in itself) and opens

Properties Selection Type : Form. Not subForm. I don't know why we're seeing differences. I'm using Access 2019.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Colin, our msgs crossed, sorry. But I don;t see what you have. There's no orange outline nor any little grey handles. Are these what you need ? Could they be disabled >

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Colin, our msgs crossed, sorry. But I don;t see what you have. There's no orange outline nor any little grey handles. Are these what you need ? Could they be disabled >

No I don't believe so.
My screenshot was in A2010 but I've just checked in A2019/365 and the orange outline looks exactly the same.

Try this alternative method:
In the main form design view, go to the property sheet.
Select the subform from the list of form controls.
The outline will be highlighted as described above and its property sheet will show Height as in the earlier screenshot

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom