ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed (1 Viewer)

BlueJacket

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:54
I keep getting an "ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed" error when I try to use the Word Merge function in Access 2010. I can get it to work after a bunch of steps when I do the merge through Word, but I want this to be an easy, automated process in Access for the end user. Is this because it's a split database?

I get the error after I select the word document that I want to merge with. "Could not find file C:\........\Access.mdb." I press OK and it prompts a login screen. There are no security measures in the database at this time. I click on the "Database" button and select my front end database file, select the query I need, and then Access tells me "Word was unable to open the data source." Wwhhhyyyyy, Access, wwhhhyyy?

What are the steps I can take to fix this?

liddlem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:54
Is you database called 'Access.mdb' or something else?
Also - I guess that word is asking you which TABLE/QUERY that it musty use to source the data. Are you specifying the Table/Query?

BlueJacket

Registered User.
Local time
It's called something else, "CompanyName_FE.accdb", so I never understood why it was referring to "Access.mbd" to begin with.

And yes. You have to click on the data source (in my case, a query) to start the word merge. When I use Word Merge on an unsplit database, it work fine. For whatever reason, it doesn't want to work on the Front End (which is located on my local machine) side of my split database.

jabadm

Local time
Today, 03:54
Greetings BlueJacket,

Did you find a solution to your issue? I'm having a similar problem when I attempt to do a Word Merge from a query.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:54
Is this a domain environment? Because depending on just how tightly the security wonks tie down things, it might be that your back end has a firewall that is application sensitive. It knows about Access but wasn't expecting Word. The first time this happened to me I was a bit puzzled. But once I understood WHAT was happening, it was an easy fix. Get an ACL added to the firewall to allow use of WORD. But IF (and admittedly a big IF) this is what is happening, your security folks have to get involved.

If this is NOT a domain environment with heavy-duty firewalls, then I have no other ideas.

BlueJacket

Registered User.
Local time
@The_Doc_Man
I'm not quite sure what you mean by domain environment. The front end is located on my machine and the backend is on a local server. I don't know what security is in place on the local server, but I do know as of right now, the only way to access it is through one of these computers.

From my research, this seems to be a common issue with a split database and mail merges based off form/query with parameters.

@jabadm
I've found that exporting the necessary info to a text file is the most common work around to this problem, which is what I have done. Another user (UncleGizmo) referred me to this site:

http://www.helenfeddema.com/Code Samples.htm (Use Find to search for "Merging to Word Four Ways")

Which I borrowed heavily from. My advice: Download the example database, take some time to understand the code, and then adapt it to what you need. Once I got it up and running, it automated everything very nicely and she did a good job leaving comments for each section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom