New DB suggestions (1 Viewer)

2015imsjfw

Local time
Today, 02:54
I'm new to Access and have some questions.
Goal: Create a Scheduling DB for my Machine Shop
Tasks: Enter Router Data into tables - Job#s 1150-10450 (and counting)

I need some advice on how much of the Router Data to put in 1 table. Each Router has standard info such as job#,dates, part#, part revision, part description, quality info, engineer info, qty, PO #, Contract#,...

The second part of each Router has info for each Operation used to manufacture the part. OP 010, OP 020, OP 030... sometimes up to 30 ops per part.

Should I make a table with just the standard info then a separate table for the ops or each op?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 04:54
The process of setting up database tables is called normalization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization). Read up on it, work through a few examples and then apply the principles to your data.

In general, tTables should be set up to accomodate data vertically (with more rows) and not horizontaly (with more columns). That is, you wouldn't have an [OP010] field, an [OP020] field, etc. Instead you would store the 020 information within a generic field ([OPNumber]). That way instead of 30 fields to accomodate your OP data, you would have 30 records to accomodate the data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom