New User Hello (1 Viewer)

jmills

Local time
Today, 12:19
Hello all, Jmills here in SUNNY Phoenix AZ. Hit 110F today. New to the forum. Started database programming in 1990 using Paradox. Taught Access and SQL programming in the late 90's but have been working in Politics since I took a stab at redistricing in the early 2001-03. My brother has a roofing business in Austin, Tx and is in need of some database work. Told him I would help him out but it has been almost 20 years since I did much Access work. So while I still remember Database design principles, some of the syntax is rusty. That's why I'm here.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself.

JRM

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:19
Hi and welcome to AWF from the UK where the temperature hit 11C and we had around 100mm of rain yesterday. Perfect British summer :rolleyes:

Anyway hopefully we can help you get sorted

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:19
Welcome JR.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:19
Welcome, JR, and I'm glad you could join us.

As a younger man, I traveled a bunch around the USA. I visited Phoenix briefly once. Based on something a radio announcer once said on the air when it was 110 degr.F and I was in San Antonio, I wonder... do you know the wind-chill factor for that 110 degrees? In San Antonio that day, the feels-like temperature was only 102.

jmills

Local time
We do not get a lot of wind when it reaches those temperatures. Wind tends to keep the temp down. We do have something called the Heat Index. It is a combination of temperature and humidity. Luckily, again when the temp is 110+ humidity is usually under 25%, and almost everyone has central air conditioning.

And remember, that 110 is 110 in the SHADE. True Phoenicians will park farther away from a store to park in the shade.

I will admit in the mid 80's, during my late teens I moved to northern Ohio, along the Great Lakes and my first day in Toledo, Ohio the sign on the bus station read 98F and 99% humidity. Even after living through many Phoenix summers, I though I had died and gone to Hell, and most people did not have central air.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:19
Yeah, New Orleans summers in the 'burbs are commonly in the 95 degr.F / 95% humidity range, particularly late August / early September (which is the start of alligator hunting season.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom