Database Design (1 Viewer)

Mega1

Local time
Yesterday, 16:19
i am creating a database i am going to have three tables one for contacts, business, and case. i want to be able to pick the business in the case at the same want to pick the default contact for that case from the business. each case can have the same business but a different contact. looking for to know how i would do this

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:19
It is important to understand your workflow. For example how does a case originate? Would you work on a case as the primary object? The case is for a company x and company x has employees y and z... An alternative scenario might be that you have an enquiry from company x, from person y, so you now need a case which is attached to company x. In the first scenario you would have a case handling form, and in the second scenario your first form would call up the company details and you would add the case to the company. Which is it or is there something else?

Mega1

Local time
ok you setup a case a case can be either a company or a contact but if i pick a company then for this case i have to make someone the person to talk to.
now contacts do not have to be with any company. but a company could have more than one contact.

Hope this helps

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
One way to tackle the problem of the difference between having a case for a company or a case for an individual is to always choose a company first. Each company will then have individuals that can be added to the case. For people that don't actually work for a company, you would have a special company set up to holds those people.

It might be called individuals, sole traders. This allows your workflow to remain the same, whether you are handling a person that works for a company or not.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:19
My usual advice for someone in this stage of planning is to make a paper diagram or other representation of the work flow. If you can't build the diagram on paper, you are not yet ready to build it in Access. Once you actually HAVE a diagram and you think it is correct, you just built a roadmap of how to build your code and what your tables have to contain to make things happen like you want.

Mega1

Local time
i have never done a digram for a database before i have always just built them.

this database does need planing I think trying to build a case management system for a solicitors.

if we go with the flow of how it works

new case
pick client (personal/business)if none create new
if company pick main contact for this case
create new folder (for files name of client)
select case type
create case number
create new folder(case number)
select who case is to
pick letter to write (from list) word will open with info filled in
letter recorded when created and by who

also i will need a timer for each case to count how much hours have been worked on

this what i got so far and i know it needs a lot for prep work before i start.

Dreamweaver

Local time
are you referencing personal/business As in a person like me or a company if so both should have entries in your address book as they are both clients with there own details and both pay you can deal with the rates later basics first.

Mega1

Local time
personal is a person
business is a company

generally a person has only one address and a business can have more than one address
when i select a person only one address will be there
if i pick an company will pick which address i will use for this case
ie. Main, site1 site2..

Dreamweaver

Local time
This is how I deal with address book entries

As you can see I just have a customer name which might be Mr Jones Or as below jolly crumpets you add the contatc number(s) in the subform make it nice and simple as thats what I'm trying for in that project.

hope it helps mick

Attachments

• 2019-08-27 (1).png
    2019-08-27 (1).png
    34.3 KB · Views: 128

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:19
Mega1, you may get some ideas from the data models at Barry Williams' site.

See those in the Law Enforcement area.

As Doc suggested, make sure you have analyzed and clearly understand the requirements, a few examples of the outputs being requested can help identify hat must be captured, stored, massaged etc. I agree that diagrams are great tools for getting the logic and relationships organized.

This little game may also be useful.
Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom