Sum Group By (1 Viewer)

MDD

Local time
Today, 12:17
Hi

I'd like to use a formula similar to SumIf in Access.
I have column 1 with product names and col 2 with Totals.

I would like to show totals for each product in col2.
Just unable to make this happen :banghead:

I've used code like this -
DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.Col2 = Select Sum(Table1.Col2) FROM Table1 Group By Table1.Col1"

However this throws an error.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Your query is all wrong but before making any suggestions, I have to ask why you are trying to do this and what you expect the final outcome to be (provide some examples) - it is not normal practice to store calculated values in tables - you would calculate in a query as and when required.

In addition, you cannot use group by queries in update queries so any solution is likely to be more complex than you think - or use a dsum domain function which will be slow

MDD

Local time
Thanks for your reply.

I have a very large dataset that needs sifting.
For instance there are equal and opposite entries, i.e. debit and credit entries in 2 columns that may relate to the same product (say col3).

Hence I need a sumif equivalent to get rid of products that have net zero balance.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
probably easier to create two queries, one based on col1 and one on the sum col2, then join them together - on col3?

get it working first as a query to make sure you get the correct syntax and values required before putting into VBA

it might look something like

Code:
UPDATE O SET O.Col2 = S.sumofcol2
FROM Table1 O INNER JOIN (SELECT Col1, Select Sum(Col2) AS sumofcol2 FROM Table1 Group By Col1) S
ON O.col1=S.col1

MDD

Local time
Thanks for this

However, it does not work as a query as well. Wish I couldve done this in Excel.

MDD

Local time
Anyone who is able to help with a solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom