Linking tables / Lock status (1 Viewer)

MattioMatt

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:42
I've successfully linked tables from another access database into the database I'm building to utilise data already there.

What I'm seeing is if I open one of those linked tables in my database, is the locked file icon/file (.laccdb) on the (external) database where I've linked the tables from.

Does this mean the table or even database where I've linked from becomes locked? At the moment there isn't much user interaction with the other database but this is to be going to change in the following months.

I can successfully open both databases and enter data into both and refresh to see the data.
I just wanted to check so it doesn't create problems further down the line.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:42
Any time you open a database file it creates a lock file to manage who is accessing what. To link to a table you have to have access to the file, and therefore it creates a lock file on the target database.

If you split your database the lock file would be there on the back end database.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 19:42
It only logged who is using the db and other info like which records are currently locked by the users.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:42
In theory you will have two lock files, one for the BE and one for the FE. However, it should be noted that there will be no contention for the FE file if you have individual copies for each user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom