Access Form with grayed out Subform (1 Viewer)

rlauck

Local time
Today, 03:37
Hey All - Our student records database (Access 2003) is working fine aside from this annoying, recently developed issue; we have a Form showing student records and an integrated subform showing student class records (hopefully a photo is attached). The main form works fine, we can enter new records and change old ones, however the subform seems to be locked now, buttons grayed-out, and we cannot enter or change the info. there anymore. The work-around (looking up student ID # & entering info. in another table) is a pain, so I'd like to finally solve this issue. I checked everything I could think of in the design view & do not see any obvious settings that could be the problem. In fact I compared the settings to an old 'archived' DB that works and its settings...they look the same & the archived subform operates fine (is not locked). Any help is greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• subform_issue1.jpg
    subform_issue1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 181

Ranman256

Local time
are the 2 tables still 1 to many?
is the subform enabled?
is the subform locked?
does the subform have the linked fields entered?
is the query behind the subform disabled?
is the subform set to allow additions?

rlauck

Local time
Hey Ranman - Not sure what you mean by "1 table too many". We've been using this DB for years without issue, nothing has been changed (intentionally). I see no evidence that anything is disabled or locked, the subform is linked to qryCourseDetails which is working fine (enabled & unlocked). Where would I check to see if the subform is set to "allow additions" ?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:37
another option is to make a Copy of the working archive.
delete all records from the tables and import the tables
on the non-working one.

rlauck

Local time
Good idea...same thing happened with working database. At least it helps narrow things down, I think. Must be an issue within the table(s). I'll keep at it, thank you!

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Down by the big red arrow, by the nav button, it reads 'Record 1 of 1;' is that correct for this Main Form Record, or should there be more Records in the Subform?

Linq ;0)>

rlauck

Local time
For that example record it is correct, but other records contain more courses (new & historical) which show up in that lower form. I can scroll through all the records, I just cannot input anything like I used to be able to do. The "new record" button remains grayed-out and I cannot enter or change any information for the course records.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 09:37
As missinglinq pointed out, your picture shows the navigation buttons for the main form, not for the sub form.

Attachments

• Navigationbuttons.jpg
    Navigationbuttons.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 994

rlauck

Local time
Oh, right, thanks for clarifying. New photo attached in which you can see the issue described. Lots of records in the DB and I can access all through tables and queries, but this particular subform is "locked". Although everything I can find in design views says it's not locked and allows input. Same thing with all of the connected tables & queries, everything is unlocked. Also, there are no conflicting ID or primary key duplicates that exist either. Copying info to a working DB did not work either, which leads me to think the problem is in a table being accessed by the subform, but again, nothing obvious to me.

Attachments

• 20170831_072759.jpg
    20170831_072759.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 116

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Could you post the database with some sample data, zip it because you haven't post 10 post yet.
Do you've some code running when the form open, which could lock it, or maybe change the recordsource for the subform from code?

rlauck

Local time
Hey All - still have the same issue & cannot really post the database because it contains personal information for many participants in our program. There are two parts to our training program that run identical databases. One has this problem I'm trying to correct and the other doesn't, just doesn't make sense.:banghead:

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Hey All - still have the same issue & cannot really post the database because it contains personal information for many participants in our program.
Make a copy of your database, replace all the personal information with some sample data and then post it.

rlauck

Local time
This thing (DB) is just too big & convoluted. No way for me to make sure I'm completely protecting participant personal information while getting you all the pieces you need to figure out a solution. Thank you again to those who offered help if I posted the DB, but I'm just not savvy enough to figure out how to do so without compromising personal info. I'm getting assistance from an IT guy at work, but may take some time to figure this puzzle out as we tried everything we could think of & spent a lot of off hours with it already. I'll post a solution if ever discovered. Thanks again - R

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:37
grayed out is probably no records, and either a non-updateable recordset/query, or no additions allowed on the form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom