split forms vs sub forms (1 Viewer)

chrisjames25

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:00
hi struggling to find much online on whether to use split forms or subforms when makin a form

is there are good references for this.

when os a good time to use a split form?

also when in a subform is it right to use a continuous form to look like data sheet and when is right time tp use an actual datasheet im guessing darasheet view allows for quicker filtering etc and moving colums about at will. am i right

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 13:00
hi struggling to find much online on whether to use split forms or subforms when makin a form

This is really an apples-to-oranges comparison. Subforms usually show related information from a different recordsource (tables, queries, etc) whereas split forms show you the same information from the main form in data sheet view.

is there are good references for this.

None that I am aware of

when os a good time to use a split form?

According to some members of this forum, never. There are some issues with using them.

also when in a subform is it right to use a continuous form to look like data sheet and when is right time tp use an actual datasheet im guessing darasheet view allows for quicker filtering etc and moving colums about at will. am i right

Pretty much a matter of preference.

chrisjames25

Registered User.
Local time
Hi again. THanks for your comments.

Anychance you could outline any of the issues you refer to regarding split forms?

Was thihnking of using one that populates a StockIn Table. Once i have entered a delivery in the db and double checked it by using the split form as a reference i would then append the data to a different table and delete or mark as entered using check box in the split form.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi

Split forms are very inflexible.
If you try & alter them at all, there are usually big issues.
For that reason various people, including myself, have tried to create alternatives.

I suggest you read these two threads that relate to an emulated split form designed to overcome some of the issues the real split form has.
You may find one of the demos can be adapted for your purposes

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=294421

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=295803

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't think there's any real problem with Split Forms if, and it's a very big if, you use it for the exact purpose it was created...to pick a Record using the Datasheet component to move to that Record in the Single View component of the Form. It's when people start trying to manipulate the Datasheet component like a standard Datasheet Form that it becomes a royal PIA. If you need to do things like that, using one of the the 'roll your own' split forms that Colin gave you links to is the way to go.

As for using a Datasheet Form, or a Continuous Form formatted as a Datasheet Form, in a Subform, the latter is generally used if you need to do something not available in a standard Datasheet Form.

Linq ;0)>

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I also don't use split forms. When I want the functionality of a single view and list on the same form, I build my own and sync them myself.

The only advantage I can see is the splitters that the split form uses allows you to resize each half of the form. Nice but not worth the other issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom