Why am I unable to assign a value to a textbox? (1 Viewer)

cosmarchy

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:53
Hi,

I have a form which contains a couple of textboxs, buttons etc. Quite simply, I am trying to assign a value to the textbox when the form opens but I am getting the following error message:

run-time error 2558:
You can't assign a value to this object
The code driving this is "quite" simple for what I'm asking it to do:
Code:
Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim strArgs() As String

NavigationButtons = False
    RecordSelectors = False

If (Not IsNull(OpenArgs)) Then

strArgs = Split(OpenArgs, ",")

Select Case strArgs(0)
            Case "New"
                txtDate.Locked = False
                txtDate.Value = Format(Now, "dd mmm yyyy")
                txtCreatedBy.Locked = False
                txtCreatedBy.Value = NTDomainUserNameFormatted
        End Select

End If

End Sub
The code opening the form is:
Code:
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmNewPartNumber", acNormal, , "PartNo='" & vCreateNextNumber.NewNumber & "'", , , "New"
So looks fairly simple :p.
I have checked Data Entry, Allow Additions, Allow Deletions etc these are all set to yes - looking around these seem to be responsible for some of these types of errors alas not on this occasion...

Can anyone shed any light on what is causing this?

Thanks

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:53
Which line does the code break on?

What is the Datatype of the Fields Bound to txtDate and txtCreatedBy?

Linq ;0)>

cosmarchy

Registered User.
Local time
Which line does the code break on?

What is the Datatype of the Fields Bound to txtDate and txtCreatedBy?

Linq ;0)>

doh!! missed highlighting the obvious :banghead:
It breaks on:
txtDate.Value = Format(Now, "dd mmm yyyy")

txtDate is bound to column with data type 'Date/Time' and txtCreatedBy is bound to column with data type 'Short Text'.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What is in the ControlSource property of that control? If the control is unbound, this shouldn't be a problem. If the control is calculated. i.e. starts with "=", then you can't modify it this way.

If the control is bound to a data field, you can do this but you don't want to do it when and how you are doing it.

You should never dirty a form before the user does. So, wait until the Dirty event fires if you want to update all records or use the BeforeInsert event if you only want to populate the value for all records.

Set the format property of the control to short date. NEVER, EVER set explicit date formats unless you have a valid reason and know what you are doing. The "short date" format will use the Windows date setting which I assume in your case is mm/dd/yyyy. If you want to use the month name, then set the control property to "mm ddd yyyy" rather than using the format() function. By using the Format() function, you are preventing the control from being modified. That may be OK in this case but it may be undesirable in others.

When I log changed by user and date, I do it in the BeforeUpdate event because that is when I know the data is going to be updated. Your method using the current event will update every record even those not changed. These controls (when they are visible - they are not on all forms) are ALWAYS locked since the user can NEVER change them so there is no need to toggle the properties.

My code would be only these two lines and they would be in the BeforeInsert event if I only wanted them to apply to new records. They would be in the BeforeUpdate event if I wanted them to apply to all records.

Me.txtDate = Now()
Me.txtCreatedBy = NTDomainUserNameFormatted

Last edited:

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
So txtDate is bound to a Date/Time Field...but you're trying to assign a Value to it using

txtDate.Value = Format(Now, "dd mmm yyyy")?

I suspect that the problem with that is that

Format(Now, "dd mmm yyyy")

returns a String/Text, not a Date/Time value.

Linq ;0)>

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 05:53
Place your code in the Load event instead of the Open event, then the Load event is executed after the Open event.
You don't need the .Value property, but use the Me. when you refers to a control on a form.
Ex.
Code:
Me.txtDate = Format(Now, "dd mmm yyyy")

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 11:53
as Missinglinq explains, it returns a String.
if you wanted to Format your txtDate textbox,
you do it on Load/Open event of the form:

Private Sub Form_Load()
me.txtDate.Format = "dd mmmm yyyy"
End Sub

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
...Place your code in the Load event instead of the Open event...

Good catch...I missed that! FYI, for the OP...the Form_Open event is too early to do anything that involves the Form's data...you have to use the Form_Load event, as JHB said.

Linq ;0)>

cosmarchy

Registered User.
Local time
Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions however changing to the Open event sort of fixed the issue which I posted about however caused further complications namely filtering.

My way of thinking is just to strip the whole thing back to basics - I figure if I cannot get a simple form to open then I'd might as well call it a day!! :eek:

So, I have literally stripped everything back to just two forms, the essence of which is what I am trying to do here; open a form which is filtered on a specific record in a table. Sounds simple enough but I cannot even get this to work.

All I get is a Type Mismatch error.. I've put the DB as an attachment. I get this when I click on the button on Form1. It is as simple as I can get it - one button with the code behind it being:
Code:
Private Sub Command35_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_Command35_Click

Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = "Form2"
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , "[PartNo] = '123457'", stLinkCriteria

Exit_Command35_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_Command35_Click:
    MsgBox err.Description
    Resume Exit_Command35_Click

End Sub

The type mismatch occurs:
Code:
DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , "[PartNo] = '123457'", stLinkCriteria

Attachments

• Sample.mdb
    356 KB · Views: 107

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Is [PartNo] a string?

If not, then it should not be "[PartNo] = '123457'", it should be "[PartNo] = 123457".
Also are you sure that is a good part number?

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Code:
Private Sub Command35_Click()
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , "[PartNo] = '123457'"[B][COLOR=Red], stLinkCriteria[/COLOR][/B]
The marked text is wrong, remove it.

cosmarchy

Registered User.
Local time
Is [PartNo] a string?

If not, then it should not be "[PartNo] = '123457'", it should be "[PartNo] = 123457".
Also are you sure that is a good part number?

In this demo case, 123457 is a string. In the PN table, the PartNo column is Short Text.
The reason for this is that PartNo will not always be numerical; in a real life case it could be AB-1234, ABC-DEF so I figured that a column with text data type would be the way to go....

@JHB - removing the highlighted text makes no difference. I get the same result; the form opens but unfortunately there is no filtering.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
@JHB - removing the highlighted text makes no difference. I get the same result; the form opens but unfortunately there is no filtering.
Ofcause it does a difference, you get an error if you don't remove it.
It is not filtered because you've set the form to data entry so it goes to a new record.

Attachments

• Sample1.mdb
    352 KB · Views: 73

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom