Debate over having a Debates forum... (2 Viewers)

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 09:09
This section of the forum in my mind is completely under utilised, either people have very little opinion on things, err I don't think so, or people simply cannot be bothered...

Should we scrap this part of the forum or keep it?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I think that it was supposed to be a place for serious debates as opposed to the watercooler's more , erm, casual style.

Brian

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 02:09
A/B testing.

Even for trolls I think it's taboo to show up and declare your intent to debate. Maybe call it Opinions or Discussions for a month and see if the click count goes up. I think a debate is a secondary effect, like a crash at Nascar or a hockey fight, that people don't feel good about enjoying, so as a forum section name, it doesn't draw clicks.

scott-atkinson

Local time
Re: A/B testing.

Even for trolls I think it's taboo to show up and declare your intent to debate. Maybe call it Opinions or Discussions for a month and see if the click count goes up. I think a debate is a secondary effect, like a crash at Nascar or a hockey fight, that people don't feel good about enjoying, so as a forum section name, it doesn't draw clicks.

I'd go with changing the Forum heading to Discussions, rather than Debates and see if we get more hits in the section..

Can we get a Mod to change it?

GSSDevelopment

PHP Guru
Local time
Today, 05:09
The last forum I frequented that had a "Debates" section called it "Politics, Policy, and Religion", (PPR for short) because that will pretty much cover most debates people would have.

scott-atkinson

Local time
The last forum I frequented that had a "Debates" section called it "Politics, Policy, and Religion", (PPR for short) because that will pretty much cover most debates people would have.

We have a Politics & Current Affairs sub forum already, should we scrap the Debates section, and just go with the Politics section?

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:09
Since I work for the government, we would form a committee to debate on whether to keep the debate forum. :)

GSSDevelopment

PHP Guru
Local time
Today, 05:09
We have a Politics & Current Affairs sub forum already, should we scrap the Debates section, and just go with the Politics section?
Sub-title of the Politics & Current Affairs sub-forum:
"Chat, debate, argue your point."

I think that answers your question ;)

scott-atkinson

Local time
We do not really need the Debates Section then, do we..

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
It was Jon who introduced this section so I don't think it will go away without his consent

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom