Do you see normalisation as mandatory? (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 05:27
I guess I would have been more accurate in saying:
"I now get to choose the products I want to use." Those would include SQL Server, Oracle, and Access.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:27
Nope, the client is one of the top 3 users of SQL Server internationally. Their data is squeezed for every ounce of performance and they have 20 DBAs - all of whom have solid experience and formal training in everything from optimisig and tuning databases and queries to implementing, managing, designing databases for performance.

They have several applications, some of which grow by about 500Gb per day others only grow by a couple of 100Gb per month.

Puts DB design into perspective for me.

Sean

I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were saying the Access .mdb grew .5gb per day.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:27
Rabbie, I agree with you. I happen to like my XP system. But there is a wry perception out there regarding Windows security and reliability. So I toss a knock their way now and then just for giggles. I know things got a lot better after Dave Cutler got into the Windows code that let to development of NT. (Dave wrote significant parts of OpenVMS, which is the O/S on my primary system. I can see his deft touches here and there in more modern versions of Windows.)

I was making a joke for which the timing was more important than the content. Sheesh, gimme a break!

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:27
I was making a joke for which the timing was more important than the content. Sheesh, gimme a break!
Any time Doc! That morning I was in a very pedantic frame of mind so accept my apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom