Putting a database on a server (1 Viewer)

jan pieter

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:20
Hello,

Currently I'm working on a small project. This project needs a database. The problem that I have here is that I have no clue on how to put a database on a server.

Program: Microsoft SQL server express 2012.

Some help would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

-Jan Pieter

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:20
If you don't know how to install SQL Server have you considered using Access? No server maintenance required.

With all due respect, SQL Server is not a zero maintenance system, express or not, and there are significant overheads to getting a SQL server project up and running compared to using Access although in the longer term you have a great deal more power and flexibility at your disposal.

Access is actually a very good platform to begin to model your data with the ultimate aim of implementing onto SQL server and it will also buy you time to figure out what and how you intend to use SQL server. It is also a pretty capable tool to develop a front end for a SQL server backend database (with huge caveats in that respect)

If you want to give SQL server express a go anyway, get the installer from microsoft, click install and when in doubt answer "yes" to anything you aren't sure about. The default options will at least get you up and running and it can be installed on a computer sat under a desk at a push while you play with it and figure out what you need it to do.

Don't forget with SQL Server that you get no front end tools other than SQL Server Management Studio. A great tool for developers, data analysts etc but no use at all for giving front end users some pretty forms and buttons to play with so you will need to develop an application more or less from scratch to actually drive the functionality that your database will support.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 10:20
In my work situation, MS Access as a back-end on a LAN proved to be slow and subject to corruption. This was resolved by using MS SQL Server as the back-end. Depending on your LAN, the number of users, and the size of your database, you may not have this problem. Experiment and see what happens.

At home, I am using MYSQL as a back-end with an MS Access front-end. As TechNellie has pointed out, there is additional work in getting databases such as MS SQL Express up and running as a server on a LAN. Setting-up MYSQL proved to be fairly easy. Nevertheless, using MS Access as a back-end would still be easier.

jan pieter

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:20
Thanks everybody for replying it really helped me!

On an other note, is it possible to run a website and an online database on 1 server?
and if so, which website host would you guys recommend for doing this

The database has around 500 rows.

Thanks in advance.

- Jan Pieter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom