Auto generate hyperlink in a table based on a field name (1 Viewer)

Poco_90

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:50
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction? I have searched but cannot find a similar request to this.

I Have a table with 15000 entries. This table lists components we use. This table is used to generate queries/forms. I have been asked to add a hyperlink to this table to link to a drawing of the component. All the drawings are in PDF and in the same folder. I am looking for a way to automatically update the hyperlink fields all at once. The Hyperlink will be in the format of \\server\shared\drawings\12345.pdf where 12345 is the component name from the table.

But there are a few small problems with the component names.
1. If the component begins with a B- . The drawing name will be all the characters except when there is a second dash in the component. So if the component is B-12345-678 the drawing name will only be B-12345.
2. If The component begins with AB, The drawing will be the first 5 characters regardless of what follows, e.g. AB123.
3. Finally for all other components the full component name will be the drawing name.

Putting the naming to one side, I have no idea how to go about auto generating the hyperlink. I have posted this in the table section, but maybe this should be in another section like queries or VBA. I would be grateful is someone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance,
Poco

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 16:50
Hyperlink? Why? If you just put the URL in a text field of a table, you can double-click the text box in a form to which the field is bound, and call the FollowHyperlink method (look it up in the docs/Help). You can eevn make the textbox look like a hyperlink (see the Formayt Tab in the Properties of that textbox)

Poco_90

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:50
Thanks for getting back to me. If I do get it to work the aim was to run a query to generate a list of items required to make a part and have a button on the form to merge all these PDFs into one from the hyperlinks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom