Create query based on SQL database data (1 Viewer)

MayoRR5

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:55
Hi guys, I'm an absolutely noob when it comes to SQL but I'll tell you my predicament. We are using a piece of software linked with Sage Accounts to run our Job Costing reports in the company. It all works perfectly but the directors are "dinosaurs" and want a report with 3 lines of info. without any "distractions".

I know exactly what they need to see but the software company aren't in a position to make customer requested changes until next year which is too far away.

bla bla bla anyway my question is, can I use the SQL database (on our network) to link to an access database (or excel) and create my own queries and reports from the data?

Also, how the frick do I find it? Indiana Jones found the Lost Ark with less effort.....

I waffled a bit there, but if it doesn't make sense, please let me know and I'll try to be clearer.

Forever grateful,
Shaun

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:55
Yes you can link the tables in access, which is far from ideal but hey...
You use the linked table manager, but first you need a user/pw for the database which if I read your predicament properly between the lines, you will not have as the average 3rd party provider will not want any "noob" snooping around their database.

PiedPiper70

Registered User.
Local time
I do custom Access programming for a living and if I told my customers you can't have an amended report until sometime next year then I'd be out of business!!

BTW, namliam is right, if you can get at the SQL data then Access is a pretty good tool to generate some reports of your own. And there's plenty of help on this forum as well.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:55
I do custom Access programming for a living and if I told my customers you can't have an amended report until sometime next year then I'd be out of business!!
I would love to have your work, unfortunately I am stuck doing this shitty job I have right now....
Should you find yourself in need of aid, feel free to PM me :)

MayoRR5

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry for the delay guys. Yeah I was able to find the data but it does ask for the owner administrator and password.

I haven't had a chance to ask the guys for it yet but they'll probably say no anyway.

I will let you know how I get on.

Originally Posted by PiedPiper70
Yeah I know it's ridiculous but we had a COO come in and tell us he was right and we were wrong, he has since the left the business and he just went ahead and picked this system out of thin air (google) and signed us up for another year for this crap.

Forever putting fires out :banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom