Hopefully Simple Fix (1 Viewer)

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Yesterday, 22:51
Ok, I installed SSMS 2014 and SQL Express 2014 to our server so I could begin to understand how to connect to it with access. Ultimately, my database will be hosted in the cloud through a service (Azure or similar).

Right now, Although I can connect to the database when I'm on the server, I cannot connect to it when I'm at my desktop through access. I installed SSMS on my computer and I cannot connect to it from there as well. It keeps saying the attached message...

I know I'm missing something simple in SSMS to set this up, but I don't know where to look? I'm a complete Newbie at SSMS. I've just purchased a book on this (won't be here for a few days) and I was hoping someone had the answer before I get it.

Thanks!:banghead:

Attachments

• error message.JPG
    error message.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 121

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:51
Have you set permissions on the database to allow users to connect?

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Hello Minty,
Yes, I believe I have...In fact, I have another server instance that I can log into just fine, and my computer "Atantacabinet\Gary" has more permissions in the one that doesn't work....I'm very confused.

I created a video of the settings, and will attempt to attach. they are in .swf format, which I created with Jing (free) from techsmith.

The uploaded video format was not valid to upload to this website. I've wrapped it in a .zip folder.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Attachments

• Sql_Server_setup.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 113

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry I'm having trouble opening that Video.
SSMS is pretty straight forward, Are you set up as a user on the new server instance?
It won't inherit you as a user from the other database.

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
yes I am....I was using windows authentication

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Okay - Have you checked you have allowed remote connections?
Right click the top level database container (SERVER\ACSCABINETS) select properties and then open the connections properties.

There is a remote server connections box that will need ticking

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Ok, it is checked, but the remote query timeout is set to 600? What should it be?

Also, I can't seem to find where the actual .mdf and .ldf files are being stored..Is there a way to tell within the gui?

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
I think I'm on to something...

If I go to the "SQL SERVER Configuration manager",
Then SQL Server Services, the SQL SERVER Browser AND the SQL SERVER Agent are stopped.

Both had a "start mode" property of disabled. I put them to automatic, and was able to start the SQL Server Browser.

When I try to restart the SQL Server Agent, I get the attached error

Attachments

• Error.JPG
    Error.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 109

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
OK I GOT IT ;-)

It was the within the SQL Server Configuration Manager

Under SQL Server Network Configuration, the TCP/IP was Disabled for the database.....

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom